TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was not sure if it was cool to put this in this folder or not so it can be moved if need be.

Does anyone know if a Mile Marker 8000 or 9000 lb winch will bolt up to a Warn Multi Mount? Reason why I ask is that I have been seeing Mile Marker winches for good prices. I dont do a lot of hardcore wheeling and am thinking of getting a front receiver(I have a rear one) so I can have the ability to winch front or rear.

I understand the issues with a multi mount and strength( or receiver rating) and that it is not good strength wise when compared to a true inbumper setup. I just want something cheap for now that will allow for the extractions out camping/hunting/Wheeling. So as I asked above: Does anyone know if a Mile Marker 8000 or 9000 lb winch will bolt up to a Warn Multi Mount?

Thanks
Brendan
Missoula Montana

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on someone has to know if a Mile Marker Electric winch can be mounted to a Warn Multi Mount.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
Was not sure if it was cool to put this in this folder or not so it can be moved if need be.

Does anyone know if a Mile Marker 8000 or 9000 lb winch will bolt up to a Warn Multi Mount? Reason why I ask is that I have been seeing Mile Marker winches for good prices. I dont do a lot of hardcore wheeling and am thinking of getting a front receiver(I have a rear one) so I can have the ability to winch front or rear.

I understand the issues with a multi mount and strength( or receiver rating) and that it is not good strength wise when compared to a true inbumper setup. I just want something cheap for now that will allow for the extractions out camping/hunting/Wheeling. So as I asked above: Does anyone know if a Mile Marker 8000 or 9000 lb winch will bolt up to a Warn Multi Mount?

Thanks
Brendan
Missoula Montana
they should have the same bolt pattern but even if they don't you can just drill new ones.

try this scenario, however...you need to pull yourself out of a mudhole from the front only and you are up to your bumpers in the goop. you now have to drag out your multimount/winch; carry it's 120# or so around to the front and somehow hook it up to the front reciever that's buried in muck. ;)

IMO those things are a waste of time and $.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Or since you already know theres a chance to get stuck, put it in before the mud.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SilverTaco said:
Or since you already know theres a chance to get stuck, put it in before the mud.
Hmmm...that would spoil some of the fun ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cruiseroutfit said:
Build your own multi-mount... You can get all the parts for ~$100, make it fit your winch specifically.

PS, I hate Mile Marker Electrics... major POS's... Spend the money once and go Warn.

Thanks for the imput on the Mile Marker electrics. I havent been to sure on their quality. I may just have to save more money and go warn like you suggest.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hytenor said:
they should have the same bolt pattern but even if they don't you can just drill new ones.

try this scenario, however...you need to pull yourself out of a mudhole from the front only and you are up to your bumpers in the goop. you now have to drag out your multimount/winch; carry it's 120# or so around to the front and somehow hook it up to the front reciever that's buried in muck. ;)

IMO those things are a waste of time and $.

Yea I hear ya when it comes to a situation like you suggest. My ultimate solution would be a Front bumper with a winch but I dont have the money for that and am looking for a temporary solution. Plus even if I was up to the bumper or hood I am going to have to get covered in mud to pull the line out so if you have a fixed mount winch or a multi mount you are going to get covered in mud either way. Like you suggest a person could have a hell of a time getting the winch in the receiver with the front burried in the mud.
Luckly I dont do much wheeling in the mud here in Montana and my truck is my daily driver/weekend warrior type of truck. So I figure a multi mount set up would get me by but I know it's not the best setup a person could have.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
Yea I hear ya when it comes to a situation like you suggest. My ultimate solution would be a Front bumper with a winch but I dont have the money for that and am looking for a temporary solution. Plus even if I was up to the bumper or hood I am going to have to get covered in mud to pull the line out so if you have a fixed mount winch or a multi mount you are going to get covered in mud either way. Like you suggest a person could have a hell of a time getting the winch in the receiver with the front burried in the mud.
Luckly I dont do much wheeling in the mud here in Montana and my truck is my daily driver/weekend warrior type of truck. So I figure a multi mount set up would get me by but I know it's not the best setup a person could have.
hee, hee, I just like to throw out a worst-case for fun ;) I know in my case having a temp winch would not be practical at all...too many instances of having to use the winch where a multi-mount would have been a reall problem.

getting a front class 3 recepticle will be the challange. It's quite a pain w/o a body lift to get it braced properly. There are at least 2 members who have them that I've seen posts/pics of so you might want to start another post with a 'front hitch' question an see if they catch it.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
SilverTaco said:
Stock approach angles are bad enough, they would be absolutley horrible with a multi mount winch hanging out the front or rear!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Build a winch plate that doesn't weigh a ton and won't affect you approach angle. Weighs about 22lbs, is hidden and works great.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SteveO said:
Without the bumper on (or wired and without cable)
that looks pretty slick! that on your truck? did you just weld a plate from frame end to frame end or is there some other bracing that you can't see in the pics?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
hytenor said:
that looks pretty slick! that on your truck? did you just weld a plate from frame end to frame end or is there some other bracing that you can't see in the pics?
It's a 3/8 plate that goes from the outside edge to the outside edge of the frame underneath. It's secured to the frame with 2- 6" pieces of 3/8x3" angle iron with 1/4 steel backplates to distribute the stresses as far back on the frame as possible. It also has a 14" piece of angle iron used to support the fairlead and provide some stability against twisting and bending. I cut out the front crossmember to make it fit inside the bumper. Also cut off the engagement lever on the winch, turned it 90* and TIG welded it back on so I can turn it side to side instead of front to back. Works great so far, is light weight, especially with the synthetic line. It will also make it easier to make custom skids with a better attachment point. I'll try and get some pics of it all back together with the cable on it. ....Steve

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SteveO said:
It's a 3/8 plate that goes from the outside edge to the outside edge of the frame underneath. It's secured to the frame with 2- 6" pieces of 3/8x3" angle iron with 1/4 steel backplates to distribute the stresses as far back on the frame as possible. It also has a 14" piece of angle iron used to support the fairlead and provide some stability against twisting and bending. I cut out the front crossmember to make it fit inside the bumper. Also cut off the engagement lever on the winch, turned it 90* and TIG welded it back on so I can turn it side to side instead of front to back. Works great so far, is light weight, especially with the synthetic line. It will also make it easier to make custom skids with a better attachment point. I'll try and get some pics of it all back together with the cable on it. ....Steve
Dude, that is awesome! You need to do a writeup with pics and get in up on this site somewhere ;) That is a perfect solution to wanting a winch but not the 100# bumper to go with it :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
hytenor said:
Dude, that is awesome! You need to do a writeup with pics and get in up on this site somewhere ;) That is a perfect solution to wanting a winch but not the 100# bumper to go with it :D
The goal was no bumper to save the weight on my poor coils and it seems to have worked out. Once I've used it a bit more I'll do a write up and see if Peter Parks will throw it on his site or see how the Tech section develops here. I'm not sure how it will react under a really hard pull. ....Steve

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SteveO said:
The goal was no bumper to save the weight on my poor coils and it seems to have worked out. Once I've used it a bit more I'll do a write up and see if Peter Parks will throw it on his site or see how the Tech section develops here. I'm not sure how it will react under a really hard pull. ....Steve
Judging by your discription of the design it will hold up just fine to anything you throw at it ;)
I forgot what coils you have...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
hytenor said:
Judging by your discription of the design it will hold up just fine to anything you throw at it ;)
I forgot what coils you have...
882's but so far no sagging after 9 months.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
SteveO said:
882's but so far no sagging after 9 months.
cool, how long have you had the winch and the OMEs?

there's a guy who has PMed me about what to get suspension wise for a winch/bumper who would do well with your set up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts