TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of the guys on here w/the 2.7l's i was paranoid about getting a system for fear that it would sound like a damn rice burner honda thing. But anyways, i got a good referal to a Dynomax product called the Super Turbo muffler and tons of help from Akshunj and LavaBoy2(has a dynomax as well). It was rather inexpensive and similar to stock plus had the highest CFM flow rate of any of the ones i found. Decided to get it welded in with stock piping and figured if i didn't like it i'd chop a dump tube off the back of it. My first response while starting my truck up was, WTF did i just pay for, i can't tell a difference at all. I actually was quite happy at how subtle it was inside the cab. I also have a k&n fipk and the sound isn't loud enough to overtake that but it goes along nicely and lets me know it's there when i pull into higher rpm's but not annoyingly. It increased pull over 3500 rpms where the previous dead spot was and made low end torque feel a little more present. I'm not saying a huge diff. but it was noticable. It has no sort of rasp to it or tinny sound, it is wholesome and "beefy" sounding for a 4cyl and in no sense annoying or overwhelming to drive with. So imo go get one :welder: on yourself.

·
Registered
279 Posts
KStacoma said:
It increased pull over 3500 rpms where the previous dead spot was and made low end torque feel a little more present. I'm not saying a huge diff. but it was noticable.
Good. With the piggyback I have been able to get the 2.7L to pull hard to redline but it still feels like there is more.

Right now, from 2200 to about 4500 the power increase over stock is very nice. After that it pulls harder than stock but it still fades some compared to the what I feel between the previously mentioned rpms. I am positive it is the stock exhaust causing this. I am headed to the dyno tomorrow and I won't have my new exhaust on unfortuantely.

I might just dyno with no exhaust after the second cat and see how that goes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
KStacoma said:
Like most of the guys on here w/the 2.7l's i was paranoid about getting a system for fear that it would sound like a damn rice burner honda thing. But anyways, i got a good referal to a Dynomax product called the Super Turbo muffler and tons of help from Akshunj and LavaBoy2(has a dynomax as well). It was rather inexpensive and similar to stock plus had the highest CFM flow rate of any of the ones i found. Decided to get it welded in with stock piping and figured if i didn't like it i'd chop a dump tube off the back of it. My first response while starting my truck up was, WTF did i just pay for, i can't tell a difference at all. I actually was quite happy at how subtle it was inside the cab. I also have a k&n fipk and the sound isn't loud enough to overtake that but it goes along nicely and lets me know it's there when i pull into higher rpm's but not annoyingly. It increased pull over 3500 rpms where the previous dead spot was and made low end torque feel a little more present. I'm not saying a huge diff. but it was noticable. It has no sort of rasp to it or tinny sound, it is wholesome and "beefy" sounding for a 4cyl and in no sense annoying or overwhelming to drive with. So imo go get one :welder: on yourself.
sounds like your happy with it. good discription. subtle is a good word to describe the sound.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry i haven't responded, ice storm had our cable internet down. As far as a sound clip, i dont know how to do that stuff but i could do an over the phone clip.

·
Registered
279 Posts
KStacoma said:
Sorry i haven't responded, ice storm had our cable internet down. As far as a sound clip, i dont know how to do that stuff but i could do an over the phone clip.
Yeah the snow cancelled my dyno appointment today. I'm headed there tomorrow. What part # is your muffler again?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
akshunj said:
Yeah the snow cancelled my dyno appointment today. I'm headed there tomorrow. What part # is your muffler again?
it's the part number WLK-17741 i got it at summitracing.com

and USAFTaco, this is my only exhaust mod so far

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
dynomax!

KStacoma said:
it's the part number WLK-17741 i got it at summitracing.com

and USAFTaco, this is my only exhaust mod so far

wow, that's a really good price! I might go ahead and buy that! That's a pretty good deal!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
akshunj said:
Good. With the piggyback I have been able to get the 2.7L to pull hard to redline but it still feels like there is more.

Right now, from 2200 to about 4500 the power increase over stock is very nice. After that it pulls harder than stock but it still fades some compared to the what I feel between the previously mentioned rpms. I am positive it is the stock exhaust causing this. I am headed to the dyno tomorrow and I won't have my new exhaust on unfortuantely.

I might just dyno with no exhaust after the second cat and see how that goes.
hey rick,
just outta curiousity, I don't know if you'll tell me or not, but what piggyback are you using? Since your engine mods are all NEED TO KNOW BASIS, haha! Thanx, Wes

·
Registered
279 Posts
wslytoy said:
hey rick,
just outta curiousity, I don't know if you'll tell me or not, but what piggyback are you using? Since your engine mods are all NEED TO KNOW BASIS, haha! Thanx, Wes
I've been using an SMT6 and also a SAFC2, though not together at the same time of course. I recently gave my buddy the SMT to use in his Jetta since they couldn't get his chip right after 3 burns. (custom turbo 2.0L)

One versus the other, I'd say go with the SAFC2 if you are going to play without going turbo. The ability to play with the timing on our engine NA does not yeild much power, I got maybe 1.5 hp playing with my timing. You can get the same timing advance curve closing the gap a hair on the plugs and using 94 octane.

I had some ignition issues on the dyno yesterday. I have some advice, upgrade the ground wire going from the cylinder head to the firewall if you have a 2.7L.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
performance

akshunj said:
The ability to play with the timing on our engine NA does not yeild much power, I got maybe 1.5 hp playing with my timing. You can get the same timing advance curve closing the gap a hair on the plugs and using 94 octane.

I had some ignition issues on the dyno yesterday. I have some advice, upgrade the ground wire going from the cylinder head to the firewall if you have a 2.7L.
well hell, that ain't worth my money, lol. is the ground wire the 1 that's closest to the passenger side? What gauge should I go to? Thanx, Wes

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
How do you do that
What gauge did you upgrade to?
pics?
How do you get the SAFC2?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Akshunj,
Where all would you recomend beefing up the ground wires? What kind of difference are we talking about here.

·
Registered
279 Posts
KStacoma said:
Hey Akshunj,
Where all would you recomend beefing up the ground wires? What kind of difference are we talking about here.
On the passengers side of the head, in the back near the firewall there is a ground wire that connects the cylinder head to the firewall. Dont expect any huge gains from doing this. It will just help correct something I saw wrong on the dyno.

There was a dyno in the computer from another 2.7L which also did the same thing.

The stock ground wire on my truck was maybe a 14 gauge. I made it an 8 gauge and scraped some paint off to make sure it was a good ground. IT helped correct the problem, along with closing the gap a little bit on my spark plugs.

For my truck(2000), Toyota recommends a .042" to .045" gap for the plugs. I played with it a little yesterday on the dyno and found the .042" works best.

The problem I saw is in the picture below. The rippling you see is in some cases 3-4 horsepower variations. The ground wire cleans up most of this fluxing, the spark gap helps too.

For anyone else reading, don't go rushing to change the gap on your plugs. The pre 2000 2.7L Tacoma's use different plugs and a different gap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts