TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Inchworm's gear driven "Lefty" and a crawl box my '05 6sp is finally going to have the 200+:1 crawl ratio that I thought Marlin was going to hook me up with while I was in Pakistan.:( Hopefully Jim will have it ready by Memorial Weekend so I can head up to the Tahoe area and play before heading home to Fresno.:D I know there are some FJ Cruiser 6sp's that have already went with Jim's "Lefty", are there any fellow Tacoma 6sp's sporting a crawler yet? Let me know what your experience with it has been like. I'll report with my fndings after Memorial weekend, probably (hopefully) it won't be much different than the excellent results seen in all the other model Tacoma's.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
With Inchworm's gear driven "Lefty" and a crawl box my '05 6sp is finally going to have the 200+:1 crawl ratio that I thought Marlin was going to hook me up with while I was in Pakistan.:( Hopefully Jim will have it ready by Memorial Weekend so I can head up to the Tahoe area and play before heading home to Fresno.:D I know there are some FJ Cruiser 6sp's that have already went with Jim's "Lefty", are there any fellow Tacoma 6sp's sporting a crawler yet? Let me know what your experience with it has been like. I'll report with my fndings after Memorial weekend, probably (hopefully) it won't be much different than the excellent results seen in all the other model Tacoma's.
why add the lefty? wouldn't the crawler be enough :confused:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why add the lefty? wouldn't the crawler be enough :confused:

Neither Jim nor Marlin have a way yet to couple the transfer case in the 6sp to a crawler. So the Lefty is the only way to add the crawler until someone makes a special coupler to fit the unique transfer case in the 6sp's. The FJ 6sp guys are in the same boat even though their transfer case is full time it's still a larger shaft with a different spline count than anything else ever used. Jim told me exactly which shaft (input or output) that's the oddball but I forgot which one he said. You could go with just a Lefty that's geared lower but I wanted to keep the stock 4LO ratio in addition to having the extra low options that adding the the crawler gives me. AFAIK Jim and (maybe even Marlin too) can do the AT's and 5sp's with just the addition of the crawl box. :dunno:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Jim currently has a 6spd FJC in his shop getting a doubler and lefty installed. IIRC the output shaft on the MT FJC is a 22 spline shaft (.vs the standard 23 spline). Jim was working making a special 22-to-23 spline coupler for it when I was there last week.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Jim currently has a 6spd FJC in his shop getting a doubler and lefty installed. IIRC the output shaft on the MT FJC is a 22 spline shaft (.vs the standard 23 spline). Jim was working making a special 22-to-23 spline coupler for it when I was there last week.
Yep, I checked it out while I was there too. The oddball coupler is not required on that particular FJ though since he's doing the same as me, i.e. Lefty and crawler box. Jim is probably looking at doing the coupler in the future to give the 6sp folks the option of keeping their stock chain driven transfer case.:dunno:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Neither Jim nor Marlin have a way yet to couple the transfer case in the 6sp to a crawler. So the Lefty is the only way to add the crawler until someone makes a special coupler to fit the unique transfer case in the 6sp's. The FJ 6sp guys are in the same boat even though their transfer case is full time it's still a larger shaft with a different spline count than anything else ever used. Jim told me exactly which shaft (input or output) that's the oddball but I forgot which one he said. You could go with just a Lefty that's geared lower but I wanted to keep the stock 4LO ratio in addition to having the extra low options that adding the the crawler gives me. AFAIK Jim and (maybe even Marlin too) can do the AT's and 5sp's with just the addition of the crawl box. :dunno:
wow, didn't know they had a completely different tcase...weird that Toyota woud do that for so few applications but whatever.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, didn't know they had a completely different tcase...weird that Toyota woud do that for so few applications but whatever.
I think they're basically the same Tcase but with a different input/output shaft. In any event, still makes it more expensive and more difficult to do a crawler. At least Jim has a way to do it with the Lefty. The 6sp guys that are waiting on Marlin will have a long wait I'm afraid.:rolleyes:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I think they're basically the same Tcase but with a different input/output shaft. In any event, still makes it more expensive and more difficult to do a crawler. At least Jim has a way to do it with the Lefty. The 6sp guys that are waiting on Marlin will have a long wait I'm afraid.:rolleyes:
at least they have the lower 1st gear ratio

It might be interesting to see if that 4.17 1st would fit in other tcases.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yep, I checked it out while I was there too. The oddball coupler is not required on that particular FJ though since he's doing the same as me, i.e. Lefty and crawler box. Jim is probably looking at doing the coupler in the future to give the 6sp folks the option of keeping their stock chain driven transfer case.:dunno:
The output shaft on the transmission is a 22 spline shaft. The input shaft on the reduction box (and lefty tcase) is either 21 or 23 spline based on what you ask Inchworm to install. You will need a coupler between the transmission output shaft and the reduction box input shaft in order convert from a 22 spline shaft to the 21 or 23 spline shaft (again based on what you select).

The reduction box and lefty will have the same spline count so you won't need a couple between them. BTW, that FJC will have the new 22-to-23 spline coupler to convert the transmission output shaft from 22 spline to 23 spline for the reduction box.

You are correct that at this point they haven't tried the new coupler to convert the tcase input shaft from 22 to 23 spline. You might want to call Inchworm just to make this is correct, but that's how Jim explained it to me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The output shaft on the transmission is a 22 spline shaft. The input shaft on the reduction box (and lefty tcase) is either 21 or 23 spline based on what you ask Inchworm to install. You will need a coupler between the transmission output shaft and the reduction box input shaft in order convert from a 22 spline shaft to the 21 or 23 spline shaft (again based on what you select).

The reduction box and lefty will have the same spline count so you won't need a couple between them. BTW, that FJC will have the new 22-to-23 spline coupler to convert the transmission output shaft from 22 spline to 23 spline for the reduction box.

You are correct that at this point they haven't tried the new coupler to convert the tcase input shaft from 22 to 23 spline. You might want to call Inchworm just to make this is correct, but that's how Jim explained it to me.
I'm still confused about all of it. I need to see the diagrams or actual parts before I'm going to know what the hell I'm talking about. According to Jim's invoice mine will be converted to 23 spline as well.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
at least they have the lower 1st gear ratio

It might be interesting to see if that 4.17 1st would fit in other tcases.
Yep, stock first gear is nice, I'll wind up with the following crawl ratio if I'm figuring it right-

4.171 x 2.566 x 4.56 x 4.7 = 229.382:1

Should make for a little smoother ride over the rocks than stock.:D

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm still confused about all of it. I need to see the diagrams or actual parts before I'm going to know what the hell I'm talking about. According to Jim's invoice mine will be converted to 23 spline as well.
LOL! It will be cool no matter what...!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My truck is home!!!

Here's a few teaser pic's of the interior shifters. I'll figure out in the next day or two how to do the boots around them so the truck will still look nice. Jim thinks the 6sp FJ Cruiser boots will be a perfect fit around the front two shifters since they kept a transfer case lever. I might have to trim some plastic since the opening in the FJ is a little bigger.

They positioned the rear shifter by dog legging the shaft in order for me to be able to keep the front left cup holder that's in the stock console if I want.

The old boot for the transmission shifter may work out pretty good for the new transfer case lever.

I'll take some pictures of the underside tomorrow. The driveshaft shop went with a single piece driveshaft. My initial impression after the 100+ mile trip home is that the whole drivetrain is tons smoother now. I don't know if it's the one piece driveshaft or the gear driven "lefty" transfer case but it's a noticeable difference for the better.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Here's a few teaser pic's of the interior shifters. I'll figure out in the next day or two how to do the boots around them so the truck will still look nice. Jim thinks the 6sp FJ Cruiser boots will be a perfect fit around the front two shifters since they kept a transfer case lever. I might have to trim some plastic since the opening in the FJ is a little bigger.

I'll take some pictures of the underside tomorrow. The driveshaft shop went with a single piece driveshaft. My initial impression after the 100+ mile trip home is that the whole drivetrain is tons smoother now. I don't know if it's the one piece driveshaft or the gear driven "lefty" transfer case but it's a noticeable difference for the better.
Any decent auto uppolstry shop can make you a custom boot and attach it to your console. I got mine done for $40 locally. I picked up a spare console including the boots and gave them the material to play with. This is what the guy came up with. I trimmed out the plastic on the console, showed him what I wanted and it was done in a couple of days.

It looks great so far!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exhaust Crossover Pipe Rerouted

Since the Inchworm "Lefty" is clocked up it gave me room to reroute the exhaust crossover above the crossmember in preparation for some skids-

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FJ Cruiser Rubber Boot

The manual FJ cruiser boots are a perfect fit and match now that I have 2 lever's in that location. I'm working on fitting the pleather boot from the FJ into my plastic console and it should be done in the next day or so. The rear rubber boot is a Pep Boys cheapy, it was the only thing I could find locally that was small enough to fit in there.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts