TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 turbo 4Runner with 186000 mi. running fairly well right now. The problem is, I have leaks in the rear main engine seal and the timing cover as well as the oil pan. I am also burning oil in two of my cylinders. The dealer wants over $3000 to make this all right (LOL) Do I rebuild?? Do I drop in remanufactured?? Could I drop in a standard 22re. For now I will just drive it but what are some of your thoughts and opinions on what I should do???? :confused:
Don't worry taking it to the dealer is not an option :2cents:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Why dont you pull the 22ret, r151 and tcase and ill trade you for my 22re :D :D

Seriously though, get yourself a repair manual and do what you can yourself. As you likely know the r151 + tcase and worth a lot on the turbos. Roll up your sleeves and do it yourself or hire a mechanic for what you cant do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a automatic :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stick with the turbo. I love mine, even though it's broken at the moment. Too bad you have an auto tranny. I saw an ad in the back of an auto trader and the rebuilt ret was only a few hundred xtra. Well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
???

·
Registered
395 Posts
I vote you rebuild it yourself. If the turbo is still OK, that's the really expensive part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts