TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got just one question. I want to run a 37" tire or so on this thing. What size springs are you all using in the front to fit 35's 36's 37's? I am thinking 3" springs in the front then match the back up accordingly, but am worried it will give me too much ride height. What about using my stock rears on the front? Thanks for any feedback ya'll. I'm collecting pictures and will do a buildup thread soon. So far I've junked all the stuff I don't want for the engine/trans swap (350/TH350) and I'm going to run a doubler and two t-cases. I guess a 203/205 combo. I got my full width rear and am putting it in tonight just so it's in and out of the way and will go back later and change out springs accordingly. I'm thinking I need to finish up the front first. Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a set of half ton chevy's sitting around (10 bolt front 12 bolt rear) so that's what is going in right now. I will for sure at least upgrade the rear to a 14 bolt, but the front will stay the same for now. I don't mind cutting into the fenders at all, and actually plan on cutting a little. This isn't to be a DD or anything like that so the fenders aren't really that important to me. I dont' want to completely remove them or anything though. I like the look of having the front end rather than removing the fenders altogether, but did toy with the idea of doing that and cutting the hood (narrowing) it.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Well, since you're gonna be full width, it will greatly minimze the need for lift and cutting. 3" springs or rears up front should be fine IMHO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, that's what I was thinking. Any suggestions on what Rears I should use? Not size just manufacturer. I hear the chevy's are good, but prone to axle wrap. Thanks again for all the help and ya'll will be getting pictures and a build thread soon since it's already underway. I didn't really want to tie up space though since this is a spare time build and could take me a while.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I'll be able to better answer that question in a week or so - the g/f is having 63" Chevies installed on her rig. We'll see how they do.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Jh3s 87 4runner had chevies in the rear and rears up front with I think a taco leaf added to the front and it came out nice and low (and level).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the rear in last night, and man that thing is a LOT wider than the old Toy rear. I like it...the drums come right up to the edge of the wheel well openings.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have about 4inches of lift with 37s, my frame height is 26, which isnt bad IMO, i do rub, but it is because of the firewall, so i am getting springs to move the axle forward(the rear springs up front do this) or alot of aftermarket springs. The only issue after that is you need to lengthen the driveshaft. but i love the 37s:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be getting both driveshafts replaced anyway. Looks good. Although rubbing won't work for me at all. If I have to I'll start cutting and rearranging I guess.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Why such weak axles?

I'm running around 4 1/2" clearing 39.5s.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because I already had them. I will get a 14 bolt for the back and will probably for the time being leave the front or go to the D44 front, but I'm pretty sure they are virtually the same thing (Dana 44 and 10 Bolt). What do you suggest since you don't like the axles I'm using?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put the back axle in and then shortly after decided to go with a 3-link/wishbone set up. So I pulled it back out, then a buddy called and told me about a Dana 60 rear FF that was about 15 minutes from my house. I called the guy and he only wants $100 for it. I offered him $70 and he said ok:D , so I'm going to get it tonight. Before anybody says. I realize that the 60 is not the best possible thing for me to be running, but is better than the 12 bolt that I had and is dirt cheap as well as full-floating, so that's what I'm doing for the rear now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figured I'd post up some pictures so you all can see at least what I'm working with so here's a few.

Here's the 4Runner the day I bought it. Not bad for $400.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts