TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is in the hospital. Yep thats right my truck (Loretta) is in the hospital. She broke on the baja run back into town. After barley making back to town i ran into a mechanic that said it might be the ring and pinion. I was afraid to take the drive shaft off because of locking up the rear end. But trusting him we did it anyway. IT WORKED! Only 40 mph but i made it home on the front wheels. Thank you to Bill for all the help!!!

The official word is the ring and pinion gear was stripped and the slider gears fell apart. good news is they are covering the 2500 dollars all under warranty. Mechanic guy did say that this usually happens when someone gets stuck in the mud, i think he might be smart. Oh one other thing, i have so much mud in between my radiator and the condensor and that he has to pull that apart to clean it all out. I asked about putting a TRD locker in the back (THANKS FOR THE IDEA MOLLY!) and he said that if i did i would have to pay for EVERYTHING, he wouldnt consider a trade on the warranty. So it will be cheaper to wait. I did learn however that on my truck it will NOT require a complete axle swap to do it. I have some pictures ill put up. Should i start a new thread on this? Still learning about this forum thing.

I cant thank you all enough for the great weekend. Especially Molly and Troy for setting it up. Next ones on me!!! Even though i broke my truck i wouldnt trade this weekend. I cant wait for the next run. I am signing up for the takeover now. Where is everyone staying? im trying to get a hotel but who knows. :saw:

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Oh Snap. I forgot Brandon this *IS* an known issue. Hmm you might be able to bargain for that locker after all if you print out the rear end thread and talk to the manager and even HIS manger... Make waves. This should have nbever happened. Look at all the other rigs that ran the trail They didn't have problems and your was the newest. AND you did not do anything different. You should get better service on this because of the known issue! Glad you posted this up!.

·
Registered
898 Posts
ah crap dude. well, i had a blast, and it was great getting to know you. cant wait to get the stock brothers out again. i'll have to get my TRD Decal, haha. looking forward to the next run.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links to the other posts. I read them and first thing in the morning im calling the dealership back and raising a small amount of hell. I dont think i will push too hard being that they decided to pay for everything but not a locker. But i will be dropping some big hints about this. Also about the frame issue. head that off before i mount my new front bumper. Thanks for the info.

Hank i had fun too cant wait for the next run. But no more 14. LOL

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Too bad on your diff Brandon, but good score on the warranty coverage. It's always nice to make Toyota eat cost on something broken. In answer to your Takeover question, I'm gonna try and stay at my buddy's house in Farmington. I've got a bunch of hotel points saved up from travelling for work, but they'll only let me book a room a month in advance. So if there's anything left by then, I'll pick up a couple rooms.
Great time this weekend Brandon. That was a fun run. Annaliese enjoyed the hell out of it too. We'll do it again soon.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey i found on ebay an ARB air locker for my truck. This sound like a good idea? I dont have much experiance in this department. Could we put it on outside a shop?

here is the link to it on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=200061705818&category0=&fvi=1&item=200061705818

putting the item number in the search field works too.

Back at you Jeremy i had a lot of fun. I cant wait to do it all again. Who knows maybe ill break something and get toyota to pay for it. :D

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
It's a GREAT idea (I have front/rear ARB's in my truck), but that price isn't too good. Check with www.trdparts4u.com, www.performanceoffroadcenter.com, or www.4wheelparts.com. You should be able to get the locker and the compressor for less than the price on the ebay page.

You should talk to your Toyota dealer. It sounds like they will have to replace the carrier because the spider gears are screwed, so maybe you can strike a deal where if you supply the ARB, they will mount the gears and set them up. Then, you could simply do the air fitting stuff for the ARB.

They win by not having to supply the carrier/spiders, you win by getting a locker and a free gear setup...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for the links to the other posts. I read them and first thing in the morning im calling the dealership back and raising a small amount of hell. I dont think i will push too hard being that they decided to pay for everything but not a locker. But i will be dropping some big hints about this. Also about the frame issue. head that off before i mount my new front bumper. Thanks for the info.
No problem, glad to help!

Make sure you print off the thread if you can, or point the dealer to the link when you go in there. Good luck!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just a quick update for the folks at home. toyota spent roughly 2700 dollars fixing the Diff. But i have to say that they did a fantastic job. I dropped it on them on Monday with no warning and they had it done by Friday. They even gave a me a rental for free for the week. I have to say that i am happy with the result. This last weekend there was a little scare but it was only a rock bouncing back to hit the diff. (plus i was real paranoid). Long story short: there is a reason why we buy toyota's and i wouldnt trade mine for anything. :D Thanks for all the advice and help.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It's good to know your dealer didn't give you any shit about doing the work under warranty. Not everyone has had the same success.

Who's the dealer? Give them some props so the rest of us might send them some business (or drop in when we blow out our rears...).

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bighorn Toyota. Glenwood Springs, CO. I have to tell you that they seemed very happy to be able to do some real work on Toyota. Not the same mundane oil changes. I think they had fun. I dont blame them. I would have too.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Bighorn Toyota. Glenwood Springs, CO. I have to tell you that they seemed very happy to be able to do some real work on Toyota. Not the same mundane oil changes. I think they had fun. I dont blame them. I would have too.
I'm glad they took good care of you Brandon. I also got that warm fuzzy feeling after Pedersen in Ft. Collins replaced my noisy timing belt and all related pulleys and tensioners under warranty ($500 worth). I think Toyota techs are sick as hell of doing preventative maintenance on Prius. Last time I was at the dealership, five Prius came through the service bays while I was waiting. Prius owners seem real nervous and skittish about their vehicles, and difficult to deal with.
It's amazing though, Prius has brought business back to the dealerships that they desperately need, having lost it to the aftermarket over the course of the last decade or so. It'll be years before the aftermarket can steal some of the hybrid business back from the dealerships, so they're enjoying it while they've got it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts