TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm rebuilding my truck almost from the ground up. My truck had a 3"BL that I've wanted to get rid of for years. It finally came time to swap in a new motor and what better time to get rid of the BL... Before you know it you are down to a frame and an empty shell after saying multiple times, "well while you're doing this, you may as well do that..."

First of many issues to come, what are these, where do they go? I remember pulling them, I took the time to label them "1" and "2". I'm assuming the corresponding 1 and 2 are in the donor 4runner which is conveniently at the scrap yard now.

Also, I only searched for about 10 minutes and didn't come up with any solid answer but does anyone have info or a link on how to eliminate the evap stuff without getting any CEL's?

TIA! ;)

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Do you have the doner still? I Have only had my hands on 1 3.4 swap and it was a direct swap with all wiring so I don't remember where those were

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Those are vacuum switching valves. Mine had one for the Evap canister, AC, Fuel pressure and EGR. It's hard for me to say which is which between those. What year is your donor? Unfortunately even though the 3.4 was pretty much the same all the way through, the vacuum hoses and the electrical changed around quite a bit from year to year.

Don't try to eliminate Evap stuff. It really won't help the motor any, and you have a good chance of getting Evap CELs WITH that crap hooked up. With all of the work you're going to do to get this going, the Evap stuff is really easy in comparison. Besides, you never know when you might have to move to an area that requires emissions testing or if your area will start. When I started my swap Larimer County didn't do emissions, but I decided to make it emissions legal anyway. And good thing too, because as soon as I finished it and wanted to register my truck, Larimer started their emissions program and wanted it tested right away, before I had 100 miles on my truck.

Unfortunately, COTTORA isn't a great resource for 3.4 swap stuff. Go to www.yotatech.com/f160 . You're sure to get answers to more technical questions there. Also, if you haven't already, go here, get a 2 day pass, and download some wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams, etc: https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti;TISESSIONID=zNQbT2FhlwlHMTqJcZGfdtG7Q8RrVS2KqSG4tJbVyLZk9dcLVwgK!-359734777?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
You can eliminate the evap stuff but I found more gas fumes on hot days. Never once got a cel for it but it wasn't worth the headache from the fumes.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
First of many issues to come, what are these, where do they go? I remember pulling them, I took the time to label them "1" and "2". I'm assuming the corresponding 1 and 2 are in the donor 4runner which is conveniently at the scrap yard now.

TIA! ;)
Those are for A.D.D. If your running SAS you don't need them.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys! I'll update with more issues as they come up. I did end up making some progress on the Evap yesterday.
Unfortunately, the donor is gone.
Thanks for the tips and links Kyle, I'll check those out.

Those are for A.D.D. If your running SAS you don't need them.
Dope. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, bump. Help me before I burn this thing down. :)

I did a 3.4 swap from a 99 4runner into an '02 tacoma (used to be 2.7). Any idea WTF i'm not getting a CEL? I should be getting about 40 codes, the speedometer doesn't work, the 02 sensors are questionable, the evap system is in 'i have no clue' status. The CEL comes on with the ignition like it's supposed to and it's hooked to the correct wire on the new ECU. I have a code scanner and there's no codes being thrown. It doesn't seem to make any sense, I'm missing something. :confused:

For the O2 sensors, is the heater supposed to be 12v as long as the ignition is on? In other words, can I just hook the 2 heater wires to ignition and ground?

·
20,355 Posts
Has it been through drive cycles so that is has a chance to throw the codes?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what the drive cycles are but I would assume so, I've put about 200 miles on it so far.

I got one of the O2 sensors working now so I've calmed down a bit :) I'll look at it again tomorrow night.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
FWIW - my 3.4 swap throws whatever codes it wants, whenever it wants. Mainly evap codes. With no rhyme, or reason to it. And it was 100% direct swap plug and play (cab/motor onto a different frame).

I put about 1000 miles on it before it threw it for the first time, since then it'll throw it within 10 miles of reset, or it'll stay off for 2500 miles. Not sure whats up with it.

Keep driving it and see what happens lol

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
what codes nate? mine threw a po171 forever without a swap, turned out one of the injectors was slowly dying, and taking the o2 sensor with it. once the injector nuked, replaced that and the o2 after that, no problem since

·
7,735 Posts
This might be the first time I've heard of no CEL being a problem :lmao:

I took a quick glance at the 02 wiring diagrams, and the heated o2 sensor was powered by the efi relay, which is on with IGN on I believe.

I'm not sure if that's one of the things that changed year to year tho.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This might be the first time I've heard of no CEL being a problem :lmao:

I took a quick glance at the 02 wiring diagrams, and the heated o2 sensor was powered by the efi relay, which is on with IGN on I believe.

I'm not sure if that's one of the things that changed year to year tho.
I know it sounds silly but there should be a CEL (or many) and I was hoping to use that to help diagnose issues. I think I'm getting like 10mpg because the O2 sensors weren't hooked up. I might've got that fixed but don't know for sure yet. I also think the emissions stuff might need some attention but no CEL on that either.

My heater wires come straight from the ECU.

·
7,735 Posts
I agree.. having no CEL when there should be one is a problem that needs to be fixed (imo). You're 10mpg issue combined with my lack of knowledge about how each wire/sensor effects other things is why I made wiring and evap match the diagrams exactly. I'm told I over-did my wiring, but then I haven't had any electrical issues either.

Since you got my curiosity going... I checked the 2000 wiring diagrams on ncttora (they don't have one specifically for 99)...

From the 02 and 2000 diagrams, there should be 4 wires for each of the o2 sensor, 2 go to the ecu (one of which is shielded, which ends up making a 5th connection in the plugs IIRC), 1 ground, 1 for the power by way of the EFI circuit. I'm not sure how/if this changed from 99, but I doubt it.

it looks like factory has the EFI relay switched on/off by way of the ign2 switch thru the ign fuse. But the power for the sensors (and the whole EFI circuit) actually comes direct from the battery thru the 20A EFI fuse and relay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts