TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest creation is a 1986 IROC Z Camaro I'm building for a street Rod.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Specs?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 383 Small block chevy, 10 to 1 compression, aluminum high flow heads, roller cam shaft with .528 Intake .536 Exhaust lift, 221 Intake / 226 Exhaust duration @.050 and a 110 degree lobe separation; running a Holley 750 cfm carburator and a HEI Distributor. It has long tube headers with 2.5" dual exhaust, with Flowmaster Super 10s on it. The engine dynoed at 426 HP at 5700 rpms and 452 ft lbs of torque at 4300 rpms.

The transmission is a TCI 700R4, with a Hughes Street Master 2500 stall converter. The rear end is a stock one wheel wonder with 3:23 to 1 gears; soon to be swapped out for a posi unit with 3:73 to 1 gears. It's a work in progress, but coming along very nicely.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've gotta say, while I don't know squat, those HP and torque numbers sound pretty darned impressive.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Nice... I (like many of us) grew up watching Knight Rider and have a soft spot for 3rd gens as a result. 4th Gen is definitely my favorite though due to the LS powerplant and ability to get their best motor with a 6-speed manual.

What's the story behind that motor? Did you guys buy a block and build up from there or was it a custom order from an engine maker, etc?

We have a guy at the local 1/3 mile banked oval track who had the sickest built N/A street 3rd Gen that I've ever personally seen about 5 or 6 years ago and he'd use it in spectator drags. This guy owned a body shop and worked on cars his entire life and he had a custom 383 stroker that he built himself and the thing would rev to like over 9K.... it sounded so nasty and was absolutely awesome to watch.

He wasn't the best driver in the world though and never got the car to live up to it's potential on the track himself until one year he let another experienced driver run it for a few events and the thing won 3 out of the 4 that he did with it.... even against AWD turbocharged cars like 3000GT's and Talon's etc.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine is a crate engine built by BluePrint Engines, I purchased it through Summit Racing. They build it, dyno it and warranty it, for cheaper than I could build it; five grand gets it delivered to your door.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The engine is a crate engine built by BluePrint Engines, I purchased it through Summit Racing. They build it, dyno it and warranty it, for cheaper than I could build it; five grand gets it delivered to your door.
A crate engine is the way to go. Makes life so much simpler and it is cheaper in the long run.

Cool project!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts