TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all... It was a fairly warm night last night so I took my mint 2012 50th anniversary edition R1 out for a quick ride to do some errands at around 7:30 pm. About 2 miles from my house I was stopped at a red light on top of a bridge for a highway overpass and the next thing I know there's a huge bang and i'm flying through the air and then skidding along the ground amidst a fury of grinding metal and plastic. A drunk driving Non-English speaking Mexican who had pulled out of a bar a few hundred feet down the street had rear ended me from behind at about 45-50 MPH. I was fortunate to have a CE rated back protector and armor in my jacket because I was able to pop right up and run out of the roadway and avoid being hit by cars coming the other way through the intersection and walked away with just some very minor road rash on one calf, and the same on my ankle and knee of the other leg.

There were 3 witnesses and 2 of them saw him pull out of the bar and said he was obviously a mess and swerving all over the road and drive through one red light before hitting me. They all said I flew up into the air and did a complete forward flip, landing on my shoulders and back a bit up the road and skidding on my back for a ways. It was scary because I must have had my eyes closed as I was sliding and I was pretty sure in my head that I was being dragged under a car or truck based on the sounds and what seemed like an eternity of sliding on the road and hearing all the grinding noises.

The other guys car (old 90's Corolla with rattle can paint job) is completely destroyed which is good because I'm pretty sure he was an illegal and he may have tried to hit and run me if it still ran. My buddy is a tow truck operator and told me they arrested the other guy for OUI and took him to jail. I saw him walking around after the accident and he was obviously lit as hell.

The hospital made me go through a trauma unit checkout because of how violent the hit was and the flip and back landing... but they said I seem to be unscathed except for the minor leg abrasions and a small scrape on my hip that I didn't notice until this morning.

I wish I had some pictures but I couldn't get my phone to work after the crash so it must have taken some damage as well from being in my pants pocket when I landed on the pavement.

I'm not really sure what's going to happen now because I couldn't get a good feel for how bad the bike was, but judging by his car... my bike has to have structural damage. I don't want it back if after that even though I adore that bike.

I guess I'll start looking for a newer R1 and can hopefully be back on the road for Spring. In the meantime I still have my old SV1000 but it hasn't been used in 3 years and probably needs a few things to be road worthy now. It's winter here anyways so no rush to put something on the road right now.

FVCK drunk Mexican illegals!!!! This is why we can't have nice things.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things like this make me so mad. Thankfully, you weren't on the bike.
I was on it when it got hit. I got ejected forward somewhere between 10 to 20 feet, landed on my back shoulders and right hip and then slid down the roadway and came to a stop about 45 feet from where I started. The bike ended up about another 15 to 20 feet down the road from where I came to a stop.

I have a really good back protector in my jacket, am lightweight, and in really good physical condition.. plus I landed in a very lucky position which all combined to allow me to walk away from the situation without an ambulance ride. I was very VERY fortunate although I am concerned that I could have long term affects on my back and neck. The had my family drive me to the ER just to get checked out and they didn't find any obvious injuries except for scrapes on my legs mostly.

I'm getting ducked around left and right by my insurance company though.

This situation just flat out sucks. They also want to repair my bike... which seems dangerous to me considering how hard it was hit.

·
Registered
808 Posts
No pictures, no go pro footage? Glad you didn't die, but why the fuck even post this? :bitchslap :bitchslap Carnage or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No pictures, no go pro footage? Glad you didn't die, but why the fuck even post this? :bitchslap :bitchslap Carnage or it didn't happen.
I don't have a GoPro. Phone wouldn't work at the scene because I landed on it (in my pocket), but I took some pics at the tow yard where it got brought to a few days after. I'll see if I can post them up tonight.

Looks nowhere near as bad as I'd expected. That rear tire makes a good bumper and my frame sliders did their job mostly even though they are completely worn down as a result of the sliding down the road part of the incident.

My cursory inspection seems to indicate at lest the following needing replacememt:

-Rear fender and license plate mount with turn signals
-Rear plastic
-Possibly rear subframe beneath the passengers side seat (things seem to be out of alignment there with seat gap and opening\closing the rear seat)
-Possibly rear Akropovic cans if they were bent (not sure)
-Rear rim (slightly bent)
-Some swing arms parts such as a pivot bolt or chain adjustors. Something is bent back there because I had extra chain slack after the crash.
-Right side fairing
-Right side swing arm spool
-Right side brake lever
-Right side mirror
-Front Nose Fascia Plastics
-Front right turn signal
-Frame Sliders
-Right side case cover for timing inspection area (completely worm through and leaking oil)
-Right side passenger peg and mount
-Right side riders peg
-Possibly new clip ons. Not sure if right side one was bent or not.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm glad you're still here to write this, even though I totally get that you're pissed off and gutted about this. You'll get that bike to its former glory, I'm sure!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad you're still here to write this, even though I totally get that you're pissed off and gutted about this. You'll get that bike to its former glory, I'm sure!
I wish.. they totaled it. 😠

I've been looking for used R1s now since the accident but am only seeing dropped and beaten bikes... and everything is super expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts