TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Toyota, but built when the States knew how to build them. I had been looking for a truck to pull Joyce around for awhile now and stumbled upon this at a fair price. Now I need to get it from all the way up in Bellingham Washington to Austin Texas. I'd rather not drive it that far after just buying it and not 100% on it, its got a slight transmission leak. I trust it to make it, just would hate to burn it up out in nowhere. Does anyone have a recommended shipper that they use?

On to the pics. She's a beauty, had a good quality repaint about 8 years ago that looks real good. A little, and I mean minimal, rust under the fenders, just at the lip not up the fender or anything. 4x4 with a 402ci big block in it that makes the engine bay actually look small. Which makes it nice that it has the dual aux saddle tanks from the factory. Drives like a champ, needs shocks but runs straight and stops good. I can let the wheel go on the highway and it doesn't wander which was surprising. No unusual noises or vibrations. All in all, a good truck other than the aforementioned little tranny leak.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Very cool tow rig! Like Alex said. It's also my favorite body style of chevy. The 402 packs a pretty awesome punch to. Had a friend way back when that got a 2wd from his grandpa. It burn the tires all day long.
Hope it's got A/C.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Looks like it's in really good shape Ethan! When are you headed back to Austin?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Badass. I didn't notice it was a 3/4 ton BB when you posted the FB pics.

My grandpa has a 72 1/2 ton, 350, short bed stepside I'd love to restore someday. Always been my favorite body style of chevy as well, followed by the '47-52 before they changed the grill in 53-54.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the compliments. It really is a nice looking and driving truck, the pictures can't do it justice. Here's a poser shot up on Mt. Baker. Its getting shipped home around the 6th and due to arrive after the 12th. Wasn't bad for shipping, $900 door to door but we will see how it arrives. Hopefully nothing will happen to it in transit. Can't help but worry though.

First full tank of gas revealed I will be avoiding city driving, 7 mpg. Seemed to get much better at highway speeds up to the mountain and back. Already have more miles on this tank than I got out of the last one and only down a 1/2 tank. I'm guessing I'll prolly get around 12 mpg out of him. Thinking I'm gonna name this one Clifford after the big red dog.

May need a hand, read welder, trying to retro fit my old factory hitch off of the 4Runner to it if it's close enough in frame width and all. I'd like to avoid having to buy a hitch when I've got that one laying around. It all depends on how much work it will take but I think the frame width's are close and the drop height looks the same from frame to the bottom of the bumper. Again I'll see when I get it home. Anyone got a discount on some Bilstein 5100's and a steering stabilizer? All the shocks need replacing. It has worn out dual Ranchos all the way around but I'm thinking about going to singles with the 5100's and see what the ride is like. Not planning on really offroading this thing, just towing the Runner and some recovery if needed.

Without airing down those skinny tires, this thing is horrible in the snow. Did get to test the 4x4 out though and glad that it all worked and got me out of the white stuff.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally home and got the driveway stacked. Got the trailer hitch and wiring done. Still need to put on the brake controller and get a stronger ball mount. The one I have isn't rated high enough and it was bending when I loaded the Runner up.

A quick pic of the wips at the house.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I like the merc. The bowtie isn't too bad either, nor is the other one...is it something like a toyo?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, the double cab would have been nice. Maybe one day when I rule the world I'll go on and stretch mine out. Of course, $15K just for a cab seems a little steep. I think I'll be happy with mine for the time being.

Debating on putting a camper top on it at some point. I'd have to convince the old lady first though. She really wants to keep the truck as it sits. I'd just like a little more security for my gear and some shade for the dog. Plus it would almost still be considered roughing it if we were camping in there. Any suggestions, criticisms, or thoughts on it? My mind is going towards a smooth sided white basic top to continue the upper cab color.

Kinda like this one but I would try and get the sides completely smoothed out.
http://www.leer.com/cache/640_640_gallery_image_1233767688631.jpg

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not 800HP but dam that would be nice. I think I'm getting somewhere around 300 right now judging by the seat of my pants at least. Kinda hard to tell without knowing the rear gear ratio though. It has seems like it is geared real tall for the size of tires on it. I've see that show and all the clips of that truck, pretty neat sleeper. There are some of the period correct ones that I would consider but I'm not really into them.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
Finally home and got the driveway stacked. Got the trailer hitch and wiring done. Still need to put on the brake controller and get a stronger ball mount. The one I have isn't rated high enough and it was bending when I loaded the Runner up.

A quick pic of the wips at the house.

Thats a cool ride!!
I would lve to see it for myself!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts