TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just finished my OBA setup and thought I would show you all.

Parts:
Viair 380c Compressor
40a Relay
110-145 Pressure Switch
Switch
Viair 2.5Gal Tank
175psi safety valve
10ga Wire/14ga Wire
Misc Fittings (Air/Elect)
Hose ~30ft

I put the compressor under the hood by the airbox. I drilled through the wheelwell to secure it. I used some washers to keep it even since it isn't even at this spot. I then ran the air out to a showerhead type manifold. That has a quick-connect, output to tank, and the other is the pressure switch.

The tank has 6 ports. 1 Drain cock, 1 safety valve, 1 air in, 3 plugs. I mounted the tank upside down under the bed using 6 bolts. I used metal brackets for one side so that I could only have bolts on the lower rails of the bed. The other side used the regular brackets. I used blue locktite on all the bolts.

I put the switch in the cab. I used an Add-a-circuit from autozone and used an ignition fuse from the fuse block under the steering wheel. I ran there to the switch and then out the grommet behind the gas pedal, then to the relay.

I may later add a quick connect near the bumper from the tank but not as of right now.

I haven't run many tests but it takes about 4-5 min to fill the tank from completely empty to 145psi. I need to redo some air fittings as they leak right now. I will do a more comprehensive test later and post.

Here are pictures of the compressor, tank, and switch.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Great install there! :)

One thing to note, it looks like you have leveled out your air tank. It really should be at an incline towards' the drain, so that when you drain the tank, any water inside will also drain out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

One thing to note, it looks like you have leveled out your air tank. It really should be at an incline towards' the drain, so that when you drain the tank, any water inside will also drain out.
It is at an incline. Its hard to see in that picture but I made sure it was. Thanks.

·
Banned
722 Posts

Couldn't you just park on a slight incline?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks nice, very nice...

I'm still mid-install and given up on the 2.5 gallon tank. Are you still carrying the spare tire under the bed?...

Are you regulating the air pressure any any way? Or simply using the pressure switch...

Sorry for all the questions, I'm simply struggling at times on my installation.

Rick

edit: Here's a thread with my compressor install...
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68987
No, the 33 never really fit in there. I stay close to home most of the time so i don't need it. I just throw it in the bed if i need it. The spare wouldn't fit down there now with the tank and I have a 3" body lift.

For the pressure, there is a pressure switch on the manifold after the compressor. The cab switch goes to the pressure switch and then goes to the relay, that way when it reaches 145 psi, the circuit opens and stops the relay power. I am not using any sort of regulator for the air, i just jam the line in the quick connect and go, you just have to be careful.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Sorry to Matt for my threadjacking..

Have one, just figuring out where to mount it. Any comments on drivers side rear wheelwell? between bottom of bed, inboard of the frame?

Also two QD's, one in each rear wheelwell... Tank is strapped against the bed and bed support (channel) above and forward of the rear axle.

Rick
What the hell you want it under the truck for. Hard to get to, it'll get dirty, could get broken. Put it under the hood. Do you have a manifold that isn't on the tank? Such as

·
Banned
722 Posts
My tanks are my sliders. I plumbed them for air. I don't have a closer pic but I can get a closer one. It's just a basic air manifold. Got mine from Harbor freight. It's got my regulator to ARB solenoid, schrader valve, safety blow off valve, air gauge, and pressure switch. Compressor is plumbed into it and in the bottom the soft line leads to the tanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have one, just figuring out where to mount it. Any comments on drivers side rear wheelwell? between bottom of bed, inboard of the frame?

Rick
I would stray away from having it somewhere so unprotected. You would also need to have a safe place to have the air inlet to make sure you are sucking in just air and not water or something.

·
Registered
419 Posts
No, the 33 never really fit in there. I stay close to home most of the time so i don't need it. I just throw it in the bed if i need it. The spare wouldn't fit down there now with the tank and I have a 3" body lift.

For the pressure, there is a pressure switch on the manifold after the compressor. The cab switch goes to the pressure switch and then goes to the relay, that way when it reaches 145 psi, the circuit opens and stops the relay power. I am not using any sort of regulator for the air, i just jam the line in the quick connect and go, you just have to be careful.
Might want to rethink where the tank is. I would hate to see you come down and have a rock puncture it. It'll fit forward of the tire.....tire will fit too. I have a 3/gal tank and a 33/12.50 under there. 2" lift.

Link to my install.

http://www.toyotatrailriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2401&highlight=oba

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked into putting it there at the spot you have it. After weighing the options I decided to go with the spot it was at. Easier access, easier install, and I am not that hardcore or a wheeler so I dont envision being in spots where I will be hitting rocks up there. With the 3" BL it tucks away a couple inches higher than the hitch for a little more protection. Nice install KMan.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's 19" long X 7" diameter (8.5" w/mounting feet). The load leveler bar misses my tank. I put a jack under the rear end and lifted it all the way up to be sure. Tank doesn't move at all with those clamps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Matt, My compressor is mounted under the hood, above the wheel well by the firewall on the passenger side. Air intake is through the trucks air filter box (after the air filter).

Rick
Oh, i see, i misunderstood your spot then. You have any pictures of how you got the air intake from the box? Some sort of adapter or something?

thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the reply, and for applying the proper terminology :)

Is the tank also bolted/mounted using the mounting feet? Or just the clamps?

By my measurements 19" is probably the longest one could go installed in that location. The Viair tank (for comparison) is nearly 24" long.

Again, thanks!

Rick
It's held on ONLY by the bands. Trust me......they don't even move. I knew the size limitations I had going in. I looked only at tanks that would fit.

Here are some links that may be helpful:

http://www.macromotive.com/shopping/goShopping.cfm?tag=3.2.93.0.3567.0
http://www.viaircorp.com/fittings.html
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/tanks.htm
http://www.truckspring.com/air-suspension-parts_303.html
http://www.kmwperformance.com/products/airtanks.aspx

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can take a picture later today (I'm still at work)...

But, all I did was drill a hole through the airbox (after selecting a location that would allow the Viair filter to fit). The threaded portion of the plastic Viair filter passes through the hole and then the metal fitting is screwed onto the Viair filter thread. This secures it to the Toyota airbox. I tried using the plastic piping that Viair provided, but I couldn't get it to make a 90 degree bend. I ended up using some fuel line (same ID as the Viair piping) to connect the inlet of the compressor to the Viair filter. Again, I'll edit this post later with some pictures....

Rick

PS - Thanks for posting up your installation. It is fantastic motivation to get moving on my install!!!!
So you still used the supplied filter. I was envisioning you using air straight after the filter using only the truck air filter to filter it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just some more info for you guys...
This is a 5 gal. tank mounted under the bed with a 33" tire underneath. 3" of lift with a 1" BL to come. Tank is 28" long and about 6-6.5" tall without mounting feet and fits with the metal tubing only slightly pushed (notice the cardboard to minimize friction). Which should change with the addition of a 1" body lift.

The only problem I have is that the tank had to be mounted upside down = no drain. I'll figure that out later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts