TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My late father-in-law, who passed away last Christmas Day, had been doing some work down in La Junta for a while. Since he passed we've been collecting his tools and stuff from his house, his mom's garage, etc., and I finally got around to going down to LJ to get what was down there. Most of it was personal stuff from his office, but the crown jewel was his air compressor. I forgot to get good pics on the road, but this thing dwarfs my girl's SuperCrew.

The guy who met me in LJ had a liftgate on his truck so we used that to get it into mine, but I had no such luxury at home. I set up a ramp with 3/4" plywood braced underneath with tires and managed to dolly this monster down it by myself. My garage is currently under massive reorganization so it'll be a little while before the compressor even makes it to its designated spot, much less gets a 240v outlet wired in, but I'm super stoked to even see it standing in the middle of the garage. Damn thing's nearly as tall as I am.

Specs:

DeVilbiss/Air America 2-stage
6.5hp, 80gal
16.9 SCFM @ 100psi, 16.0 SCFM @ 175psi
1200rpm oil-lubricated pump

If anyone needs some high-powered air and wants to drive, this thing will kick it out and anyone here is more than welcome to hit me up. Aside from that, I guess I just wanted to see what everybody's air compressor experience and advice are. I'm going to need to set up a good inline dryer so I can paint the Lexus, and of course I'm now going to have to start accumulating sweet air tools. :D What do you all have and like?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Stick a cooler between the head and air tank; that'll help keep moisture out of your tools/paint. Check into dessicant air dryers; eastwood.com has deals from time to time. I plumbed an A/C condensor from a Land Rover into my tank; hooked a fan to the backside and it's been nice-n-cool ever since.

>>Dan

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have to come down to the shop and take a look at that setup, Dan.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I'm re-doing most of the lines today; needs some hi-temp hoses and more crimp fittings... heater hose doesn't hold up to the heat. Go figure.
I'll snap some pics for ya too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts