TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after I start my Taco in the morning I have to rev it up to 1500 RPM just to make it to start moving. What could be the cause of this? Appreciate any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 99 TRD V6 Autotran 4WD, 120K miles. Just this morning I again had to rev it up and all of sudden it lurched forward instead of the usual gradual move. Could it be the throttle is sticking? I have not cleaned the throttle for a long time.
 

·
Stinks like fish
Joined
·
986 Posts
Are you saying that when you put it in gear that it is not moving right away? ZThen you have to rev it up to get the transmission to engage?


If so Check your transmission fluid level and condition. It sounds like you have pressure drop in your tranny causing the delayed engagement. It could be due to low fluid or varnish and debris uild up in the valve body. What is the service history for the trannsmision? Has an aftermarket cooler been installed. What are your climate conditions (Are you in a cold climate overcooled situation? this would be an explanation as well).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bryanccfshr said:
Are you saying that when you put it in gear that it is not moving right away? ZThen you have to rev it up to get the transmission to engage?
Yes, exactly.


Bryanccfshr said:
If so Check your transmission fluid level and condition. It sounds like you have pressure drop in your tranny causing the delayed engagement. It could be due to low fluid or varnish and debris uild up in the valve body. What is the service history for the trannsmision?
I have replaced the tranny fluid twice (in 30K, then again in 90 K). Both times I took down the pan, cleaned it and the screen. No unusual sign of metal filings. I check the fluid every week its full, red and smells like tranny fluid and not burned.


Bryanccfshr said:
Has an aftermarket cooler been installed.
None

Bryanccfshr said:
What are your climate conditions (Are you in a cold climate overcooled situation? this would be an explanation as well).
Georgia. Its not freezing.

If its the valve body, I'll take down the pan again this weekend and look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have been using Mobile 1 ATF synthetic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
AR10fan said:
Right after I start my Taco in the morning I have to rev it up to 1500 RPM just to make it to start moving. What could be the cause of this? Appreciate any help.
The obvious answer would be the fluid level..The not so obvious could be a partially blocked passage in the valve body..How long do you let it run before trying to go??
 

·
Stinks like fish
Joined
·
986 Posts
AR10fan said:
Yes, exactly.




I have replaced the tranny fluid twice (in 30K, then again in 90 K). Both times I took down the pan, cleaned it and the screen. No unusual sign of metal filings. I check the fluid every week its full, red and smells like tranny fluid and not burned.




None



Georgia. Its not freezing.

If its the valve body, I'll take down the pan again this weekend and look.
When You take the pan down see if there is any tacky varnish. Varnish will make things sticky and not operate as well. There are some gentle products available if you have varnish build up. Varnish can result from the fluid getting hot or as a normal aging of a component.

I have turned a couple of coworkers onto this for there engines and I think this would be a worthwhile process for your transmission. Ignore me if you want but I would give it a shot. Basicly this is an organic Esther.
http://www.auto-rx.com/
http://auto-rx.net/pages/applications.html
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
That varnish is what typically restricts the tiny passages in the valve body..Good call..
 

·
Stinks like fish
Joined
·
986 Posts
I forgot to add, Put on a cooler when you get the problem resolved.
 

·
Stinks like fish
Joined
·
986 Posts
TacoCrazy said:
That varnish is what typically restricts the tiny passages in the valve body..Good call..
Thanks, I am becoming a true nut on what I used to think was mundane maintenance stuff.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top