TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a broken leaf the other day in my driver's side leaf pack. Isn't that loads of fun? These are stock leaf packs on the truck. I suppose it's not that big of a deal, I will be lifting the truck with a new leaf pack anyway, I just didn't want to spend the money on it yet. Oh well. I will be putting Wheeler's 5 leaf HD replacement leafs for 1.5" in the rear with Bilstein 5125's, and coilovers for the front. I'm thinking toytec, maybe SAW 2.0's, havn't decided yet. I'm going for 1.5-2 inches of lift because I love my 31's and will be keeping em. Just thought I'd share my frustration on the broken leaf thing.

Good news on the other hand, I just upgraded my tires and rims, in which I'll get pics up soon (truck is dirty). I had stock 15" steels with 235 tires (29 inch approx.). I just put on 15x8 AR ventura's with 31x10.5 BF all-terrains. Man the truck looks good! But I did notice terrible highway power loss for those who are thinking of doing the same. I have 3.91 gears, I'm going to re-gear to either a 4.10 or 4.30 (if I can find em). If you have 3.58's, oh man, don't bother with 31's without a regear haha. 3.91 is ok, but not good enough for me. I have the 2.7L.

Here's the weird thing!!! My tires Rub! haha, 31's on stock height and my coils aren't sagged much (driver's side saged slighty due to the inevitable taco lean). It only happens when at full lock and I hit a bump. The tire rubs on the back fender wall very very slighty. When I had the mud flaps, full lock rubbed all the time! So I took the flaps off. Even the little rub without flaps won't be a problem since I will lift. I believe this happens because my rims have 3.75 backspacing, and -19mm offset, so the tires stick out fairly far. This is the look I was going for. Didn't realize it would make a 31 rub, but oh well, another reason to lift :D .

That's how my truck has been doing, pics soon!

Anyone who wants to send their opinions my way, I'm open to read em.

Sorry for no real questions haha, I just needed to tell someone about my truck situation. Read sig for truck specs.

- Manuel

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck is a 2003. Yeah I got the 3.91's that come stock with the 29" tire. I want to get 4.30's but they'll be hard to find.

3.91's with 31's suck on the highway!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
If you had 3.4 V6 the power loss would not have been so bad. Some years back a couple of buddies of mine and I all got 33"s about the same time. I had the V6 with stock 4.10's, one had the 4 banger with the 3.91 and the third had the four with 3.56's. Long story short they were swapping gears soon afterwards and I ran my 4.10s for 4 more years!

Also if you are rubbing with 31's you might want to do the simple and basic pinch weld mod…take a 5lb sledge and pound down the pinch weld in the fender wells.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually thinking of doing the pinch weld, but I'm worried about any backfires that may happen. Any word on people having body problems after a pinch weld mod?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I was actually thinking of doing the pinch weld, but I'm worried about any backfires that may happen. Any word on people having body problems after a pinch weld mod?
I have never heard a word of any ill effects of the pinch weld mod. Other than maybe someone not doing it right, leaving a sharp edge that caught and shredded a tire, but I think you will do fine.

Besides you are not actually weaking the weld, you are just folding over the metal, actually creating an insurance policy for yourself. if the pinch weld ever seperated, it is folded over on itself. but on any account it is very unlikely that the pinch weld would ever seperate.

Hell I have see some people take a cut off wheel to theirs with no problems!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Dude, good luck with those "HD" leaf packs from Wheelers. I ordered a pair last year and they were FLAT the day I put them on the truck. HD my ass man. Just giving you a heads up. I was kinda pissed to have spent money on HD springs only to end up with some SOFT springs. Unfortunately I could not return them because I could not afford the downtime for my truck. Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up man. I actually talked to a local shop today and they had me pretty convinced on the Old Man Emu leaf springs with the 2 inch lift. So I think I'll be putting those on.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
i like my dakars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts