TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what it is with white, but my truck seems to have a matte finish these days. I have never been much for detailing, but it looks pretty rough. I tried waxing it, and it didn't do anything.

Is the clear coat shot, or can it be restored somewhat? Just looking for suggestions.

thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not sure what it is with white, but my truck seems to have a matte finish these days. I have never been much for detailing, but it looks pretty rough. I tried waxing it, and it didn't do anything.

Is the clear coat shot, or can it be restored somewhat? Just looking for suggestions.

thanks.
Im pretty sure the white is single stage. at least it is on 4runners of the same year.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I certainly am not looking for a show truck by any means, but the dirt seems to stick to it even worse now that it is matte. Some parts are still shiny like the hood and front fenders, but the doors, bed and especially the top of the cab are dull.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
clay bar it to get all the impurities out of the paint

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had the exact problem with my 02. After years of research I found out that our white tacos have no clear coat and it is what the industry calls a single stage paint. After I found out that it would require buffing I then began researching that for months as I had never done it. Finally I got a buffer, the right pads, compound, polish, and wax and now my white taco looks awesome again. Best thing I ever did. If you go this route be careful and check out Presta products. Your will need detail or body shop quality chemicals. Auto parts store stuff will not work if yours is as bad as mine got and will only create swirl issues unless you have lots of buffing experience. The wrong pads or chemicals will cause other issues so read up on it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good feedback. I haven't tried to polish etc yet. Looks like I need a buffer...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
ditto.

Gotta do the same thing to mine soon! It looks like hell!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts