TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Tacoma V6 (PreRunner) that is leaking coolant in such a way that's leaving me puzzled. There doesn't appear to be any coolant in the oil, no smoke from the exhaust, nor any visible coolant leaks. The water pump / timing belt were replaced 62k mi ago, with 185k on the truck. The one strange thing that has me confused is there is a noticeable amount of water leaking from the AC drain hose in front of the passenger firewall / wheel well area. However, this appears to be just water, and not coolant. Still, I find it odd that so much water (perhaps a cup) is draining over nearly an hour once parked since I'm not running the AC (only the fan), and only drive 10 or so miles. The coolant appears to leak as the vehicle sits (over the next 30 to 1 hour) after driving. I was curious if anyone had any ideas, or could lead me in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've just realized that running the defroster would possibly engage the AC, thus answering my question about the water drain line. However, with no sign of dripping coolant I'm wondering if it's head gasket issues?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing with my 2001 3.4L v6.
One thing I did notice, when doing my timing belt the other day, there was pinks purple chunks on top of the driver side valve cover, underneath the intake manifold. Can’t really see in with the plastic timing cover on. It doesn’t smell like coolant, but it could be mixed with oil from some valve cover seepage.
I probably have to add a a quart of coolant every 4-6 months, or more in the summer.
I have no signs of a blown head gasket l, or noticeable performance issues. The only thing I notice is that after idling, like at a drive-thru, then park, I smell coolant briefly, then nothing. No leaks, drips, or anything. I just know I have to add coolant every so often. It’s driving me crazy. Compression is good, no mixing of combustion gases into coolant. No coolant in oil, no oil in coolant. No white smoke. No water out the tail pipe. No fouled plugs. No overheating. Just missing coolant.
One other thing, every once in a while, the idle will suddenly get rough for about ten seconds. This is without the ac or defroster on, and without turning the wheels. In happens in P and Drive, but not that often. Maybe like once or twice in a day.
I’ve been hunting for the cause for the coolant loss for like six months. I also pressure tested the radiator and rad and reservoir caps. Found my reservoir/overflow cap doesn’t seal that great, but replaced he cap and put plastic wrap under the cap to seal it, but that was not it.
The only thing I can think of would be a small HG leak from the water chamber to the outside, but the piston cylinder part is still good.
To be specific, I think it would be the number 2 or 4 cylinder(s).

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
I have a 2001 Tacoma V6 (PreRunner) that is leaking coolant in such a way that's leaving me puzzled. There doesn't appear to be any coolant in the oil, no smoke from the exhaust, nor any visible coolant leaks. The water pump / timing belt were replaced 62k mi ago, with 185k on the truck. The one strange thing that has me confused is there is a noticeable amount of water leaking from the AC drain hose in front of the passenger firewall / wheel well area. However, this appears to be just water, and not coolant. Still, I find it odd that so much water (perhaps a cup) is draining over nearly an hour once parked since I'm not running the AC (only the fan), and only drive 10 or so miles. The coolant appears to leak as the vehicle sits (over the next 30 to 1 hour) after driving. I was curious if anyone had any ideas, or could lead me in the right direction. Thanks.
How are you judging that you have a leak? What you describe is the normal operation where the coolant expands into the overflow (expansion) tank when hot and goes back to the radiator as it cools. Are you actually refilling the overflow tank all the time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How are you judging that you have a leak? What you describe is the normal operation where the coolant expands into the overflow (expansion) tank when hot and goes back to the radiator as it cools. Are you actually refilling the overflow tank all the time?
For my Tacoma, 100% sure it’s not from the expansion of the coolant as it warms up. I will have to add maybe a half a cup every month or so. Not a lot, but that’s not normal. I used to add a cup maybe every year due to natural evaporation. I went about six months one time and the reservoir was only about an inch deep with coolant while cold.
The driver side head and valve cover are underneath the intake, which is a perfect hiding place for coolant to not be seen.
I’m planning on doing the valve cover gaskets in January, so I’ll have the intake off and I’ll know for sure. I should have done it all when I did the timing belt last week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep its a very small head gasket leak. I pulled the timing cover off and used a borroscope. It’s leaking at the front edge of the #2 cylinder.
Compression was normal. No fluids mixing. No burning coolant on the plugs. No noticeable loss of power other than a slightly rough idle for a few seconds. I take extremely good care of my truck with the FSM and service interval recommendations. Have no idea how it happened. The temp gauge never went above horizontal on the instrument panel.
I just ordered some titan head gasket sealer and waiting for it to come. I guess we’ll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts