TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 02 Tacoma, 4x4 regular cab. Took it back a week later under warranty, and they replaced the IAC valve as well as the rear bushings. I still have a mystery noise that's unresolved:

Say I'm going 50mph and press the brake. There's a fast tapping-ish sound from the front driver wheel area, and the tapping slows down as I deccelarate, finally stopping when the truck stops. Tapping really isn't the right word. It's more like the sound of a mattress spring. EE-er, EE-er, EE-er.

Prior to noticing the noise, I was told by an independent inspector that my front driver shock is leaking. The truck has a high suspension, I guess from a lift kit applied by a former owner. Could the leaking shock be related to this noise? The brakes have passed 2 inspections at this point, so I'm confused! A friend suggested that the rotors need turned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Have you checked the CV's? Also might want to check the 4 bolts at the bottom of the spindle to make sure they're still there. I don't think this is the problem but it never hurts to check.

·
Registered
401 Posts
if the rotors are thicker than 23mm then they don't need to be turned, is the squeek a having sex in the old bed squeek or a fingernails down the chalkboard squeek?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sex in old bed squeak. And it slows down as the truck slows down.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Could be the brake pad wear indicator (little metal tabs on the brake pad) is bent and touching the rotor prematurely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a similar noise and it was some rust at the top of my rotor that would lightly graze my pads. Annoying as all get out, but that's what it is. Check the condition of your rotors. If not, go with what bradleyem said; wear indicators.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
FallGuy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing