TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can/will an AT make a sound like a resonating glass bowl/bell? Or pitchfork? I'm getting this new sound very prominently at 28 mph, when the throttle is open. If i'm coasting I don't hear it. But if I'm using throttle to sustain 28mph, it's constant. It disappears above and below 28mph. But when it's hot out, it will also appear at higher speeds also at higher frequency's. it doesn't move up continuously in pitch, it just disappears and reappears at different points and pitches. It's definitely the sound of hollow metal resonating, mostly likely by a spinning part rubbing on it. (Like rubbing your finger on a crystal glass rim).

It appeared after getting my truck re-geared. Took it back to the shop and though they couldn't see how it could relate to the front differential, they took out the axles and inspected everything. Looked good. But sound is still there.

It doesn't seem like the front diff., because I have ADD hubs and the spider gears are always moving. This sound only appears with throttle, but not when coasting or slowing down.

The day before I had the re-gearing done, I put a bottle of Lubegard black in my trans, at the suggestion of a trans shop, in hopes it would help what I suspect is a dying transmission. It seemed to exacerbate my trans problems so I did a few drain and fills to get it out. Now I have this noise and don't know if I should still be concerned it's my front diff., or perhaps its the trans getting ready to take a sh*t.

I hate these atypical noises that no one has ever heard/experienced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZuvegTG5a4

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one, huh? Should I have posted this is a different forum?

My truck never has a typical problem!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
play some tunes that are in the same key?

:p

weird.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good idea. i think there's a song in the same key called: "i fucking hate my truck and wish it would roll off a cliff and explode" it's by a band called: The Frustrated and Over It.

I'm thinking of selling this truck and starting over. This is just another on a long list of problems. Way too much wrenching and not enough wheeling.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Anything new?

Have you put it on jackstands and dropped the driveshafts?

Maybe removing one at a time could help isolate where noise is coming from. You could then crawl under there too.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
find a stethoscope, get the truck up on a rack and get it up to the mystery speed while somebody 'hunts' for the source of the sound.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I sold it. Succubus truck. Like a real hot girlfriend. You look at her and can't believe your eyes. Seems like she'd even make a good wife. All your friends comment on her and are jealous.

But behind doors she's nothing but problems. Wants all your time and money. Not very good in bed. Never happy. Always something wrong. Will leave you one day.

So now, I'm on the hunt for a new pony. Hopefully a TRD or at least one with a TRD axle swapped in. Then everyone will say: Look at the nice ass on that girl.

Then, I can start posting in the 'let's talk about wheeling' section, instead of the 'what the fuck's wrong with my truck' section.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts