TTORA Forum banner

name that noise ->

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  S/CTaco 
#1 ·
hey all, (beware, long post)

I searched the board, and did not come up w/ any conclusive info... I'm trying to track down a couple of strange noises -> "clunk", "pop", "click"

=== background ===
1. for reference: 04 dcab trd/4x4; dr coils @ factory ht, deavers/5100's, 265/75 bfg ats + pinch weld mod
2. up until a week ago, everything was fine. no clunky/poppy/clicky noises

I'm trying to get some idea of what could case these noises before I take it in to the dealer/shop to get checked out... I would like to be able to describe the noises more accurately than "clunk/pop/click".

=== 3 strange/unsettling noises ===
First noise "clunk"
- engaged 4hi in a parking lot with chunky ice/slush/snow -- just in case
- leaving lot, disengaged 4hi... **truck made a "clunk/pop" sound**
- thought this was odd, re-engaged, re-dis-engaged 4hi, no pop...

Q: What would cause this "pop"? Is this a normal noise/sound, or should I be freaking out immediately?

Second noise "pop"
- I am also now getting a "pop/click" (think dull snapple lid/vacuum pop sound) from under the truck somewhere... (have had a couple of ppl listen, including myself, and cannot figure out where it's coming from)
- reversing out of my carport, driveway slopes slightly downhill, then uphill
- turning wheel slightly to the left, just as the backend starts to go uphill, and the front downhill, get the pop/click noise...

Q: What could cause this noise?

Third noise "clicky-grindy"
- This has happened twice in the last week, and only when the truck has been loaded up (lotta people-weight in the cab)
- turning right into a driveway
- noise coming from front right/passenger... sounds like a cross between "card in spoke" and "gears grinding" sorta...I'm thinking pinch weld, but not sure.
- sound does not occur going straight over bumps, curbs etc.

Q: What could cause this noise? Could it be the DR's have settled in and I've lost a little lift in the front, so the pinch weld is rubbing again?

=== additional Q's ===
1. DR's/Deavers -- anyone know how much the settle? I measured when they went in, and have since lost the paper with the measurements. Currently, center of hub to lip of fender trim is 23" (both/front), 23"(driver/rear), just shy of 23.5"(pass/rear). Can anyone confirm these measurements? (I know the rear driver sags... just wondering if the measurements are "in the right ballpark range")

2. Any quick tests you know of that could help me identify these sounds?

Thanks for any help/suggestions... and apologies again for making you read so dang much.

--ryan

See less See more
#3 ·
sqwirlytaco said:
hey all, (beware, long post)

I searched the board, and did not come up w/ any conclusive info... I'm trying to track down a couple of strange noises -> "clunk", "pop", "click"

=== background ===
1. for reference: 04 dcab trd/4x4; dr coils @ factory ht, deavers/5100's, 265/75 bfg ats + pinch weld mod
2. up until a week ago, everything was fine. no clunky/poppy/clicky noises

I'm trying to get some idea of what could case these noises before I take it in to the dealer/shop to get checked out... I would like to be able to describe the noises more accurately than "clunk/pop/click".

=== 3 strange/unsettling noises ===
First noise "clunk"
- engaged 4hi in a parking lot with chunky ice/slush/snow -- just in case
- leaving lot, disengaged 4hi... **truck made a "clunk/pop" sound**
- thought this was odd, re-engaged, re-dis-engaged 4hi, no pop...

Q: What would cause this "pop"? Is this a normal noise/sound, or should I be freaking out immediately?

Second noise "pop"
- I am also now getting a "pop/click" (think dull snapple lid/vacuum pop sound) from under the truck somewhere... (have had a couple of ppl listen, including myself, and cannot figure out where it's coming from)
- reversing out of my carport, driveway slopes slightly downhill, then uphill
- turning wheel slightly to the left, just as the backend starts to go uphill, and the front downhill, get the pop/click noise...

Q: What could cause this noise?

Third noise "clicky-grindy"
- This has happened twice in the last week, and only when the truck has been loaded up (lotta people-weight in the cab)
- turning right into a driveway
- noise coming from front right/passenger... sounds like a cross between "card in spoke" and "gears grinding" sorta...I'm thinking pinch weld, but not sure.
- sound does not occur going straight over bumps, curbs etc.

Q: What could cause this noise? Could it be the DR's have settled in and I've lost a little lift in the front, so the pinch weld is rubbing again?

=== additional Q's ===
1. DR's/Deavers -- anyone know how much the settle? I measured when they went in, and have since lost the paper with the measurements. Currently, center of hub to lip of fender trim is 23" (both/front), 23"(driver/rear), just shy of 23.5"(pass/rear). Can anyone confirm these measurements? (I know the rear driver sags... just wondering if the measurements are "in the right ballpark range")

2. Any quick tests you know of that could help me identify these sounds?

Thanks for any help/suggestions... and apologies again for making you read so dang much.

--ryan
First one sounds normal. If your wheels are turned while disengaging, tension has built up in the gears because the wheels being turned.

Second one ??? You find it, let me know. Mine does the same under torque.

Third one - Sounds like you are stuffing a tire and it's rubbing somehwere.

#5 ·
As stupid as this sounds, if you have a receiver/hitch in, take it out. I have a few noises that I could give 2 shits about, but the receiver banging around in my tow package drove me nuts for a few months before I found it. I found out that I had accidentaly swapped receivers with the wife, because it never did it before - therefore thought it was a new noise.
Just something to consider.

also - I'm not familiar w/ DR's, but make sure your coils are positioned properly.

#7 ·
Seated properly - That may be a better term. Coils in general sitting in the buckets. The buckets should be designed to seat the end of the coil properly rather than being just a flat piece of material. I've never seen the DR's though.....:eek:

#8 ·
The below was a similar problem w/ fabtechs....might be worth a look.

It's the spring or spring bucket hitting the cv (look for abrasion on the cv shaft/lower spring coil/bucket) or if the wheels are turned it's the spring hitting the banjo nut on the brake caliper (that can be filed down slightly to give it a little more room)... Make sure the long spacer at the bottom mount is facing rearward... Unfortunately... even with that properly in place... it will still make some contact... The 2.5 diameter is the issue and the lower oem mounts would need to be moved forward a little to aleviate that... Not a simple task... During alignment... less castor might help a little... But there is a trade off in handling...

#12 ·
Ya the first one is normal, especially on hard services. But i think i might have the same 'problem' as you for #2. Mine makes a rapid clicking sound at random times, but mostly at idol, I hear it mostly at the drive through since it echos off the wall and i tend to have my radio off. I never really thought anything of it and i could never get it to do it consistently enough to take it to the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.