TTORA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't go to the national board that much, but I have been reading stuff there in the last two weeks. It seems like every other reply is someone preaching to "use the search." Someone asks about tires, reply = use the search. Someone asks about gas mileage, shocks, engine, muffler, standard reply is "use the search". Then when people wonder why the forums (and this is all forums) eventually die, its because you get a group of people that as not as welcoming to new members and it dies from attrition.

Anyway, no one said that to my posts so I am not bitching for that reason, but it just seems annoying.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Yeah, seems people around here forget what it was like when they were starting out and just hide behind the "I don't want to answer the same question a million times excuse".

This is definitely the place to meet up with people to go 'wheeling, but I prefer Yotatech for technical info.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
One of my first experiences with TTORA was in the newbie tech forum. A new member asked a question and w/in a few minutes 3 people had jumped on him for not searching one said "What do you want us to do hold your hand?"? I made the mistake of pointing out that his post was in the newbie tech forum and "Flaming is not allowed" and people should just not post if they think the question is redundant. Talked about flamed!! I was called his big sister and a little kid who used daddy's money to buy my truck etc.. I didn't even go to that board for a few months after that. Now I will read it but wont post. Every new member is greeted with "Welcome, Make sure you use the search button before you ask any questions"

I think they fail to realize that most of the threads may start out as tech but end up as a sand box for the know it alls. It is very difficult and time consuming to find an answer to a specific question. Type in steering wheel shake and you get 32 different threads with hundreds of posts to wade through.

There seems to be a mob mentality with the internet tough guys over there. When one of the board darlings makes a smart ass comment the rest of them jump in on the beating.

This board is much friendlier. I have not visited Yotatech yet maybe I should.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah Prodigy - def join YT too... I don't spend too much time on the Nat TTORA forum for that very reason. I cannot belive the level of flaming some people give - it is outragous IMHO. I now stick to CoTTORA for the most part - and YT.

Only a year ago TTORA Nat was SO much better - in terms of attitude and friendliness.

There was a really good discussion (if you can call it that) about this on the national board awhile back. Some of the old timer comments I thought were really good and I'll repost some of it here:

:confused: First off no disrespect to the peeps who have worked hard to make this forum possible. I contributed $$$ because I have enjoyed and therefore supported the forum (although much more fun in the past than the present). :) :) :)

Back in the delphi days the TTORA forum was awesome. Since the advent of this new board the good natured fun and comradery of the old forum seems to have been slowly slipping away. :( This new forum has become a boxing ring for internet tough guys, bashing, and pissing matches. The level of maturity is sinking to new lows every week. Has anybody else noticed this, or is it just me? Not sure why this is, maybe its a numbers thing? :confused:
Honestly I don't believe the size of the site, the age of the members or the inclusion of other models has anything to do with a site going down hill. I think a tone for a site is set by the Moderators and its senior members. Take GlockTalk.com for instance. It's a huge forum, far bigger then TTORA and almost all the conversations and talk are civil and very respectful, and the site is chalked full of information. There are a few other very good forums out there like ExPo, which I personally feel is the best site I have seen on the net. The positive tone for these forums is set by senior members and the Mods. Now I'm not saying that this site doesn't have good Mods or senior members but far too often I think this site becomes victim of "monkey see monkey do." When new members come to TTORA they are typically greeted with flames and ignorant comments by some of the senior guys. What happens is we breed a sub culture within the TTORA board which is negative by nature. A tone for a site will relect its most influential members. If the site wants to get away from all the negativity then its senior members need to set the tone. :2cents:
Footpounds said:
I think the 80/20 theory proves itself to be valid even here. 80% of the non-civility is caused by 20% of the members. Just check out this thread and countless other ones. The same group of people constantly with "STFU", "fuck off, dickhead", "cocksucker", "fag", "fucking moron",etc. And then they say this is "fun" and "clever" and it lightens things up and if anyone calls them on it, it is followed with "you are pussy hurt" or "who put sand in your cunt?".
Sorry for the langauge all but the reality is - that stuff flies over on the Nat board like bees to honey. (As also noted by another member below)

People who chose to use (disrespectful & unprofessional) foul language like that....they're only making themselves look like idiots.

But hey...as the saying goes ...."You make your own bed and you sleep in it to" :cool:

Not to mention - Toyota representatives & sponsors are seeing all the negative attitudes in this forum. Have some respect for SHANNON (and others) who've created this forum for YOU. Present and represent it POSITIVELY!!
every once in a while, someone comes up with a witty way to say "search!" but your garden variety "search" replies are pretty lame, usually some loser, probably with a small cock, who has nothing better to do at work and wants to feel better about their lousy lives by bitching someone else out.
The whole mess is most likely all of the veteran's fault...
(somebody has to be blamed here... :neener: )

All that old time comradre and fawking with each other... and the noobs can't make sense of the fact that you all actually know each other and are just fun'n...

They see that behavior and think... Hmmm... I wanna be a tough e-wheeler guy too :rolleyes:...
(And then they get flamed and wonder what happened - and the cycle contiues....)

Of all the things to remember.....and I'm getting older and don't remember as much...

But seriously....the forum is made up of *people*. People come and go.
People have different personalities and respond to things differently - either good or bad. No matter what you do (change forum rules) - you'll never change the attitude or personality of the person.

To think about it.... TTORA has probably grown tremendously over the years. And especially now that it includes Toyotas (not just tacomas) - that's HUGE.
Back when I started in 99 - It was a tacoma only board and the tacoma was only out since 95.5. That's a small amount of people and a lot less overall posts and traffic.

Currently - Tacomas have been out for 12 years and the forum includes other Toyotas. So...you've got a hell-of-a-lot more traffic, more posts, and a higher rate of having poor attitudes/personalities. It's the nature of the beast when a club/forum gets THAT big.

So sit back and relax....ignore the fluff.... use the forum for research and assistance while returning the favor to others.
With that said, I think the lack of civility began way before TTORA changed from "Tacoma Territory" to "Toyota Territory." In my opinion, it began years ago when a few began emulating some of the attitude that was once exclusively displayed over on the Pirate Board. Only thing is, the Pirate Board culture succeeds in its own unique way because it is, well, unique in its own way for lack of a better explanation! When a few, self-proclaimed "Pirates" tried to copy it and bring it over here, the unique humor and hard edge that made the Pirate Board successful just went by the wayside and turned into some "wannabe" type of copy-cat attitude that failed miserably. In other words, TTORA was never part of the whole "Pirates of the Rubicon" culture and never will be.
Anyway thought this might shed some more light for you all. It did for me...

The whole thread is here: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62675

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There has been a mass exodus from one of the other AAS boards that I went to and the one everyone moved to has this slogan, "A Civil Discussion on ******"

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
May I remind people who wander over to the colorado Board that we don't tolerate the kind of flaming or obnoxious language that others on the national forum use. If you break our rules per shannon we have the right to ban you and unfortunatly that also bans you from the national forum. Please keep your insults on the national forum - thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
for all those who seem to have trouble seeing the rational. :rolleyes:
It is very clear that a lot of people are coming on here and thoughtlessly posting random shit in random places without giving anyone else one iota of consideration. It is totally inconsiderate and just plain rude. Imagine for a moment going to a public library that has an index and clearly labeled categories but people put all the books back in random places just because they are too damn lazy to put the books back where they came from. How long would it take for the library to become totally useless to anyone? Would it tend to piss you off if it were you that had made the attempt to build or donate books to the library? I think you can see the problem and the point. Its all part of getting along in society and it’s always the thoughtless assholes that screw it up for everyone else. The funny thing is the offenders get all butt hurt and indignant when you call them on it. Somehow they think the world owes them the respect that they clearly deny everyone else.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
There was a great discussion going on here... much like the problems that comutacoma initially pointed out. If you don't have anything constructive to say on the colorado forum - ESP if you aren't an active member on the colorado forum, please go somewhere else and bother another chapter.

Unlike some other chapters we prefer to keep our discussion mostly about wheeling and the ribbing light hearted, If I wanted a bash fest I'd be over in Pirate.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.