TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be traveling from NC to San Diego for a change of duty station in November. Anyone have any recommended stops along the way for wheeling or just sight seeing? Figured I might as well make this cross country trip worth it.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
I'm up for it if you're serious.
I'm there practically every other weekend.
Since you'll be stationed here, we'll definitely have to plan a trip or two!

Can't offer much advice in terms of what to see on your way out, but if you need anything once you're here let me know!

·
The Ex
2,221 Posts
I'll be traveling from NC to San Diego for a change of duty station in November. Anyone have any recommended stops along the way for wheeling or just sight seeing? Figured I might as well make this cross country trip worth it.
I know plenty of sight seeing. Been cross country through the south a couple times. It all depends on what kind of a detour you'd be willing to take. How many days? I'm mostly a history seeker and geography lover so my opinions are based on those. New Orleans, The Alamo, Four Corners, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Sedona and Anza Borrego. That's all I can think of right now. Of course, you'd be looking at 3 weeks minimum to visit all of these.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I did NC to Moab UT earlier this year. What is your route? Looking for wheeling destinations or just cool shit?

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
I know plenty of sight seeing. Been cross country through the south a couple times. It all depends on what kind of a detour you'd be willing to take. How many days? I'm mostly a history seeker and geography lover so my opinions are based on those. New Orleans, The Alamo, Four Corners, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Sedona and Anza Borrego. That's all I can think of right now. Of course, you'd be looking at 3 weeks minimum to visit all of these.
The Alamo is not worth the time it takes.
:2cents:

·
Registered
796 Posts
There are some incredible natural hot springs in the deserts and mountains out west. I originally built my truck for scouting these outand it is the best camping EVER. Hot soak after a days drive and sleeping under the stars with coyotes howlin. Don't even need a tent! There is one tub right off interstate 8 just past Yuma. "Hot Well Dunes" is a few hrs east of Tucson and is a big dune wheelin destination(you need a flag). Google "hot springs"

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My initial thought was to go to Moab and wheel for a day, then go to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam for sight seeing. That route would rule out the Alamo because I wouldn't be driving through Texas. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of time, 7 days max. I do plan on driving almost non-stop though other than whatever interesting places I get recommendations for. Keep it coming :D

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You could run through I70 through the rockies. Make a stop at New Belgium brewery in Fort Collins and spend a couple days in moab. We left out of central NC at 7pm on a Friday and was in Denver CO by 9pm sat night. Spent the night there, then moab is 6hrs from Denver. Stop at Oklahoma Joes in Kansas City for some BBQ that will put NC style to shame.

Then from moab you could head south and check out the grand canyon.

I would just spend a few days in moab then leave from there to CA. You really need a few days to soak it all in, and the trails are really 1 trail per day trails unless you run the shorter ones. Lots of good food, great people, and good craft beer in moab. Check out moab brewery, pasta J's for some of the best Italian food I have ever fucking tasted, and downtown moab is pretty cool also.

Have fun on your trip and be safe!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My rig is close to Scuba's. Dual cases (2.28/4.7), front/rear ARBs, Interco Q78s (35"), 4.88s, armor, flat belly, chromolly rear shafts, IFS with 3 spare CVs, standard cab, Icon coilovers/Deaver leafs, etc...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Moab Rim is a good one, along with Pritchett Canyon. I wouldn't run Pritchett solo though..

Pick up this book. It will help you a ton.

http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?Itemid=32&option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=6
I think the first time Jay and John (freak and stealth4x4) ran Pritchett they spent a couple hours winching and changing cv's.
I guess it's not the easiest trail in the snow. :lmao:
Deff do not run Pritchett or Rusty nail solo.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Pritchett wasn't bad until the end, the last 1/8 mile was crazy. Lots of stuff that will put you on your lid in a heart beat.

Didn't get a chance to run Rusty Nail but will hopefully try it next time out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not really sure I want to run any of it solo. I've never been there before and don't feel like getting lost, and I'd like to be able to try some of the more challenging obsticles but there doesn't seem to be much to winch off of. I was thinking about getting a guide, but I don't relly know how to set that up. Have any of you done that before or know how? Is it worth it? Or is there anyone local that wants to wheel on Tuesday and Wednesday?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Pick up that Funtreks Guide book.

I showed me and a buddy from Bragg around all the trails based off that book only and a little research on YouTube.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts