TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
00Andy said:
Well, I'm looking for some tools to add to my garage since people are still looking for Christmas gifts for me. Any suggestions?
Full chasis hydraulic lift! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
00Andy said:
Well, I'm looking for some tools to add to my garage since people are still looking for Christmas gifts for me. Any suggestions?
Do you have an air compressor yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
1. Gas powered air compressor, we have a commercial honda one
2. A really nice torque wrench, the kind you don't let friends borrow
3. Aluminum race jack (expensive but the weight makes them worth it)
4. A ratching wrench or set if you can find one
5. Dremel tool with kit
6. Corded drill, cordless drills aren't worth a shit when it comes to drilling through thick metal (ie your frame)

Just some ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
97 FZJ80 said:
1. Gas powered air compressor, we have a commercial honda one
2. A really nice torque wrench, the kind you don't let friends borrow
3. Aluminum race jack (expensive but the weight makes them worth it)
4. A ratching wrench or set if you can find one
5. Dremel tool with kit
6. Corded drill, cordless drills aren't worth a shit when it comes to drilling through thick metal (ie your frame)

Just some ideas.
1. Oooh. Sounds good to me
2. Ditto #1
3. Already have a quicklift shop jack - not aluminum but it gets my tires off the ground in 3-4 pumps
4. I've never quite gotten on the ratcheting wrench bandwagon - my craftsman socket wrench and normal wrenches do me just fine
5. Got it
6. On it's way - my little christmas present to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
00Andy said:
Well, I'm looking for some tools to add to my garage since people are still looking for Christmas gifts for me. Any suggestions?
air compressor, a good one, not a cheap ass one (they seem to self destruct pretty quickly)

Good welder (lincon or Miller)

Plasma cutter

Chop Saw

Fridge for the shop (cold beer is good) :cool:

bandsaw

good impact gun

220 outlets if you dont have them already

some steel to make stuff out of.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Ratching wrenches are worth their weight in gold for tight areas where you are trying to tigheten or loosen a bolt/nut that you can turn more than a 1/4 turn at a time, and a socket won't fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Do yourself a favor, save your eardrums and dont get an oiless compressor. I am replacing my craftsman 32 gallon oiless with a 80 gal 2 stage, and I can actually have a conversation right next to it.....WHILE ITS ON. THat loud ass craftsman can lick my balls. If I didnt need the money, Id shoot it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zszac111 said:
air compressor, a good one, not a cheap ass one (they seem to self destruct pretty quickly)
Good welder (lincon or Miller)
Plasma cutter
Chop Saw
Fridge for the shop (cold beer is good) :cool:
bandsaw
good impact gun
220 outlets if you dont have them already
some steel to make stuff out of.....
Define a good air compressor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
00Andy said:
Negative - it's actually the first thing on my tool list. Anybody know how big of a tank I'll need to use air tools?
Home Depot has a good deal for a Husky 22 Gal upright on wheels that comes with a BUNCH of air tools. It retails for $299.00. That would be sufficient for a basic garage gear head who tools around the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
A neat little gizmo I asked for

00Andy said:
Well, I'm looking for some tools to add to my garage since people are still looking for Christmas gifts for me. Any suggestions?

A pressure bleeder! :D you can bleed brake lines without any help and you can also bleed cluth slaves with them.

If you really want to get ellibrate, ask for a OBII code scanner–you never know when you will need it, but would be nice to have on hand before you need it.

an impact air chisel or hammer. makes those frozen/rusted bolts free with ease, but you need the air compressor first.

If money is no object, a two stage 62+gallon air compressor is the way to go.

Another couple of items off my list are an air circulator/filter for the garage. Lowes has a Delta for $200 or a large wet/dry shop vac.

Also a good creeper or a floor epoxy. ( I used the rustoleum floor epoxy on my garage before we even moved a box into the house–drove from the closing straight to the new house and painted the garage floor! The wife even helped, next day we moved in!:D ) It has been a great investment so far!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,267 Posts
00Andy said:
Define a good air compressor?
ANY compressor that is not an "oil free" or "direct drive" type. Direct drive compressors are the loudest and the maintenance/oil free models usually burn out the bearings quickly from heavy use.

www.chpower.com
Campbell Hausfeld makes some good quality and affordable compressors for garage and shop use.

www.irgaragesolutions.com
Ingersoll-Rand makes some more serious and heavy-duty products. If you don't mind a larger up-front cost, you will find a well built quality product that will last for years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
ShowStop said:
Campbell Hausfeld makes some good quality and affordable compressors for garage and shop use.
I used to work there. Taught me a good lesson - I am not fit for factory work. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bear said:
Also a good creeper or a floor epoxy. ( I used the rustoleum floor epoxy on my garage before we even moved a box into the house–drove from the closing straight to the new house and painted the garage floor! The wife even helped, next day we moved in!:D ) It has been a great investment so far!
How big is your garage and how much did that epoxy cost you? I've been planning on painting mine and maybe adding a little grit for traction this coming summer but I didn't know you could get DIY epoxy.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top