TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEED A OBII BR-3 SCANTOOL OR EQUIVALENT TO TUNE MY CLOSED LOOP, THOUGHT I WOULD TRY HERE FIRST AND SEE IF ANYBODY WAS DONE WITH THEIRS BEFORE I GOT A NEW ONE, THANKS
DEAN
[email protected]

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Not selling - but I am using this scan tool
http://www.obddiagnostics.com/

If you have a laptop-
this is a much more comprehensive unit than many of the handheld units

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Scan tools are typically only a monitoring aid and used to read and reset diagnostic codes etc. To actully tune the EFI system takes a lot more than a scan tool. You would start with a wideband O2 fuel/air ratio meter, some way to access and rewrite the fuel and timing maps, some way to actually measure power gain or loss and go from there. BTW I don't know if anyone has cracked the security codes for the ECU used by Toyota for the Tacomas yet but it does have a self correcting feature built in that you would need to address. Scan tools can give you some helpful indications but you need much more to actully tune the ECU. A minimum would be the wideband O2 and a GTech along with lots and lots of patence and a full understanding.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dick Foster said:
Scan tools are typically only a monitoring aid and used to read and reset diagnostic codes etc. To actully tune the EFI system takes a lot more than a scan tool. You would start with a wideband O2 fuel/air ratio meter, some way to access and rewrite the fuel and timing maps, some way to actually measure power gain or loss and go from there. BTW I don't know if anyone has cracked the security codes for the ECU used by Toyota for the Tacomas yet but it does have a self correcting feature built in that you would need to address. Scan tools can give you some helpful indications but you need much more to actully tune the ECU. A minimum would be the wideband O2 and a GTech along with lots and lots of patence and a full understanding.
thanks foster, got the wideband for the open loop but need a scantool for the closed loop, what other units are people using to tune their FTC in closed loop

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I see, you're just tweaking up an FTC and not an ECU. That's way different but the same tools for either really. With the scan tool you can read the fuel trims, loading and such but it's still the wide band O2. An EGT gauge would be a good to have thing too. A GTech can be helpful as it will give you an actual measurement of power gain or loss as butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate. A dyno tune is just run for WOT and is just a first step anyway, you still need to road test and the GTech can help you a lot there. I'd get that book I recommended and read it. For $20 it could be your best investment. That would put you in much better shape from the get go. No matter how much equipment you have, unless you know what you're doing with it, it only amounts to a rather expensive pile of junk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts