TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i recently bought a 97 tacoma s/b reg cab 2.7 and i'm going through it because it requires an inspection since i imported it to my province. Anyways, i checked the front brakes and they had approximately 1/4" left on the pads both sides but i couldn't get the rear drums off. E-brake was off and i hit the drums with a hammer but no luck. Do i need to rent a puller? Next problem: when i was under the front drivers side front suspension area i noticed there is a bent stud on a piece that joins onto the front stabilizer and the a-arm for the bottom susupension. The piece has rubber bushings on it. Anyways, the stud where it joins onto the a-arm is bent at approximately 45 degrees. The other side is fine. It must be bent, correct? Can anyone tell me what the part is called so i can call around? And finally, i'm adding daytime running lights and need to know where i can find switch power under the hood. I need to add a trigger wire to something with switch power so that the lights will run while the truck is running. The kit says you can wrap it around a sparkplug wire or find a switch power source. I also need to find the low beam wire on the headlight plug and there is 3 wires. Can anyone help? I just bought this truck and don't have a manual yet. As soon as i pass inspection the hokey daytime running lights are coming out. Sorry to be a pain, i just want to get this truck on the road. Thanks to those who can help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much man and thanks for the welcome to the forum. This is a great place and as i learn i'll help others just as everyone knowledgeable here does.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
For the drums, there are two small holes with threads. Get a metric bolt and thread it in there. Tighten it down and it will pop off of the spindle...

If you don't want to go buy a bolt, do what I did and just loosen a bolt somewhere. I took one off the rear exhaust hanger.

Any 12mm head works...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
NorcalPR said:
For the drums, there are two small holes with threads. Get a metric bolt and thread it in there. Tighten it down and it will pop off of the spindle...

If you don't want to go buy a bolt, do what I did and just loosen a bolt somewhere. I took one off the rear exhaust hanger.

Any 12mm head works...
Do alot of beating around the drum with a deadblow though when you do that- if its real frozen it'll just strip the bolts. Keep it hosed with PB and just change the brakes regardless. Lots of wirebrush and antisieze on the lip when they go back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Wes
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing