TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any suggestions for getting a new clutch. I have a 96 tacoma 2.7L 5 speed 4x4. I have been looking around and found the stock the stock clutch at autozone for $260, a clutch from LC Engineering for $400, and a clutch from North West Off Road (Centerforce clutch) no price. I don' t do any fourwheeling right now and probably not for a while since this is my only truck. i do have P265/75/16 tires on the truck which are almost 32" tall. I dont have any mods done to the engine, so the bigger tires may have been a bad idea. Last week when i was trying to get out of my drive way after 6 inches of wet and thick snow and a snow bank at the end of the drive way, i smelt something burning and everyone has told me it was the clutch. Since then i have noticed that the pedal has been grabbing really high. Also any suggestions for power gain would be helpful.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i'd stick with the OE clutch. ...they seem to work well for day to day driving and occasional off roading.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've heard good things about the LC Engineering clutches.

Also, it's not the lack of engine mods slowing down your truck and trashing your clutch...you need to regear. You've probably got those super 3.58s, and I can attest that they are garbage with 32s.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Stock Aisin or quality aftermarket stock replacement clutch would be the way to go. Dont even bother with the Centerforce clutch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So wheres a good place to get a OEM clutch for a good price, all i have found is closer to $275. Also, is there any writeups for a clutch install on this forum... I cant seem to find opne anywhere:confused:

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
So wheres a good place to get a OEM clutch for a good price, all i have found is closer to $275. Also, is there any writeups for a clutch install on this forum... I cant seem to find opne anywhere:confused:
Check with one of our forum sponsors like www.trdparts4u.com. They offer some really good discounts on OEM parts.

There are no full write-ups on this site for clutch replacement. I've wanted to do one for a while, but taking all those pics and documenting the work is a pain. Most just use the online FSM. www.deserted1.com/FSM

Since you are local, you might want to know that I do clutch work for members. $175 flat labor price, machine work and parts are additional.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. Has any one used the downey offroad super clutch 1 before and know how much it is? One reason i am looking for a little tougher of a clutch is that in the winter i do go and shovel snow for a contract so that might be better for the bad weather and deep snow in the middle of the night if i were to get stuck or does that sound stupid.

·
Registered
622 Posts
instead of smoking the clutch in the snow put the truck in 4lo and u wont have a problem anymore

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Check with one of our forum sponsors like www.trdparts4u.com. They offer some really good discounts on OEM parts.

There are no full write-ups on this site for clutch replacement. I've wanted to do one for a while, but taking all those pics and documenting the work is a pain. Most just use the online FSM. www.deserted1.com/FSM

Since you are local, you might want to know that I do clutch work for members. $175 flat labor price, machine work and parts are additional.
If you need a hand, I volunteer. It's been a while since i changed a clutch, but I still have knowledge and ambition?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
If you need a hand, I volunteer. It's been a while since i changed a clutch, but I still have knowledge and ambition?
For making a write-up? I'm all for doing it, I just dont want to be the one taking the pics. I need a cameraman to take pics while I do the work to document the steps. I can add all the text. It just seems like every clutch job is a rush and never manage to get the pics taken.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
For making a write-up? I'm all for doing it, I just dont want to be the one taking the pics. I need a cameraman to take pics while I do the work to document the steps. I can add all the text. It just seems like every clutch job is a rush and never manage to get the pics taken.
I'm up for pic's! For being the piss boy (blazing saddles)I draw the line. At 47 yrs young I think I'm passed that stage? :lmao: Seriously I'm more than happy to learn again or new?

·
Registered
163 Posts
For Clydeepants: On http://www.clutchcityonline.com they have a clutch kit for the 2.7L for $185 and free shipping.
Thanks nhtacoma96. Do you have any experience with this vendor? I have some time before my clutch is totally gone so ill be looking around.

ShowStop, I might take you up on this deal when i finally do change my clutch. Maybe I could take pictures and we could finally have a clutch write up here on TTORA:D .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no i haven't had any experience with them but i am try to look into their products to see how they are because i might buyone from them my self since it is such a good price. I just dont want to buy a junk part. i am going to try to make it another month till i am out of college for the year so i dont have to worry about getting there while the truck is being worked on since it needs a new fuel filter and oil pan also. Mind as well do it all while i am at it. If you buy one from there let me now how it is or where you got one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts