TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 Tacoma Double Cab trd 110xxx miles. Took it into the shop after I lifted it to get and alignment, which is going back cause it is worse now :rolleyes: . Besides the point they told me I have an oil leak had them pin point the leak. They said oil pan gasket was leaking. Got home changed the gasket twice and still leaking. It seems to only leak while I am driving. Sitting in the driveway, no oil. So the question is that after searching it seems that the 3.4 have problems with the rear mail seal. I dont have time to go it myself. What would an average price be for that type of work?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
You have to remove the transmission to access the rear main seal. That would be a minimum of 4hrs or more at most shops. Figure $400 labor plus the $10 part.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
As long as you're not losing too much oil, just wait until you need the clutch done. Mine leaks too, I'm just living with it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a A/T. Ill call around to get some price quotes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I looked into it and looks like I am going to have to make time to do this. Does anyone have and steps to do this. I was look on the repair manual online and cant seem to find it?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Stupidchicken89 said:
Ok I looked into it and looks like I am going to have to make time to do this. Does anyone have and steps to do this. I was look on the repair manual online and cant seem to find it?
What part? Removing the transmission or replacing the seal? Both are in the manual, just listed in separate sections. The seal replacement is listed in the engine repair section.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda got it figured out. Transmission I can get in down but need help with the oil seal. Is there any SST that I would need to take the seal apart of get to the seal?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just use a big standard screwdriver. Hook the seal just inside the rubber part so you don't damage the seat in the block. Just be carefull putting in the new seal. Be very gentle with the hammer. You don't want to dent the metal part of the seal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any other hints out there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How do you know for sure if it's the rear main? Hate to do that job for nothing. My oil pan gasket leaks a bit, but not much when sitting as the oil just hangs out in the pan.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the pan gasket twice and still leaking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts