TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the problem: one leg in one of my sliders is hitting the pinch weld. the rest of the slider seems to have a good cleareance.

it's pretty annoying 'cause when the cab flexes i hear a "bang" noise inside the cab. The noise is only on the left side, so after looking closely, having somebody driving the truck while I was sitting on the bed trying to figure from where the noise was coming from....i think i found the problem:

Any ideas of how to notch just that little section of the pinch weld without damaging the panel?

Anybody ever faced a similar issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I Ran Into Same Problem, And My Sliders Where Welded On, I Tried Folding The Pinch Weld Over In Those Areas, But Even That Didnt Work, I Ended Up Putting A 1" Body Lift On

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow :eek:

Interesting, I hope i don't have to go that route.

thanks.

·
Registered
796 Posts
This happened to me also on the 1st leg (front). I just left it be and it no longer makes the noise bc after a few wheelin trips it will self correct; the pinch weld will bend perfectly to "match" your slider leg.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Ben, did you have the sliders welded on already? Why are they so close to the pinch weld? I thought you were going to leave 1/2" of clearance for flexing like we talked about?

I see a couple of options at this point.

1. Have the sliders cut off and re-welded.

2. Body lift. A BL isn't really all that bad and you'll have additional clearance for bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SADGOAT said:
This happened to me also on the 1st leg (front). I just left it be and it no longer makes the noise bc after a few wheelin trips it will self correct; the pinch weld will bend perfectly to "match" your slider leg.
that gives me some hope, although i was hoping to fix it beforhand since the truck is a DD.

did you also feel the noise on one side of the cab or the entire cab?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interex said:
Ben, did you have the sliders welded on already? Why are they so close to the pinch weld? I thought you were going to leave 1/2" of clearance for flexing like we talked about?

I see a couple of options at this point.

1. Have the sliders cut off and re-welded.

2. Body lift. A BL isn't really all that bad and you'll have additional clearance for bigger tires.
Yes, they are welded. There was no room for a 1/2" of clearance. The way they are, the legs are as far down as possible on the plates. After the test, the seemed to flex well without any issues:

I was hoping to fix the problem without having to cut the sliders off.

I just don't have any money left at the moment for a BL. :cool:

·
Registered
552 Posts
no big deal... mine just self fixed like the other guy said... I got hung up on them and they flexed and notched into the pinch weld a bit.. I don't get any sounds and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

someday i'll get a 1" body lift but not for a while.

don't cut them off and reweld them, no one can see that pinch weld, its not like it will look bad

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pdxtaco said:
no big deal... mine just self fixed like the other guy said... I got hung up on them and they flexed and notched into the pinch weld a bit.. I don't get any sounds and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

someday i'll get a 1" body lift but not for a while.

don't cut them off and reweld them, no one can see that pinch weld, its not like it will look bad
so yours self-fixed themselves. Well, i hope i run the same luck.

Dude, I'm not talking here about "looks" only. The slider really hits the cab, and the noise is becoming annoying to me.

At first i even got off the truck on the highway because i thought I had hit something, or that something got stuck under the truck.

I might get used to it later, but for now i would like to fix it if i can.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RDAWG said:
go jump it a few times and you will be good to go...
thanks for the advice. But I'm too skinny to cause any substantial difference :D

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
jump the truck, don't jump on it. :)

Have you tried hitting it? Get a piece of flatbar, a long screwdriver, handle to a long socket, wire saw, monkey wrench... something that will fit in there, and bang it with a mallet or mini sledge to fold it over. That or do what the others said and wait until it self-clearances. :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oppositeboy said:
jump the truck, don't jump on it. :)

Have you tried hitting it? Get a piece of flatbar, a long screwdriver, handle to a long socket, wire saw, monkey wrench... something that will fit in there, and bang it with a mallet or mini sledge to fold it over. That or do what the others said and wait until it self-clearances. :D
i'll try that this afternoon. if it doesn't work, well.... i guess the next step will be :saw: :mad:

thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
mine didn't bang while I drove.. I think it only touched when I flexed the sliders using them....

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Self fixed ? wtf

You mean dented the rockers in like mine. Nice fix :rolleyes:

Though... I now had the wonderful self radiused PW's :mad:
I added the 1" Body lift... (for other reasons as well)

When doing the BL... I realized that when tilting the body... during the install... That is when you could easlily reach and radius the PW with a grinder or sawsall or whatever... So you don't need to install the BL... Just go thru the motions... No need to remove the sliders... Some work though (possibly better alternative then removing the sliders :dunno: )...
I added the BL and replaced the OEM body mounts with the ES bushings... The replacement of the ES bushing Body mounts seems to give less body deflection... Might have been enough to stop the pinch weld hit on their own... Though I can't say that for sure as I added the 1" puck in there...

Oh and it's the body moving... not the sliders deflecting... (in most cases)

1/2" is necessary between the pinch weld and the support tube on the slider to avoid the hit... Radiused or raised... (possibly less using the ES BM bushing set)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks tacodell for the reply.

I won't be able to get a body lift cause I'm broke. But before giving up and :saw: the sliders off, I'll wrestle with the issue a little more to see what happens.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PuckerFactor said:
mine just self clearanced. If the bang bothers you get some tin snips or something similar and cut around it. or just go slide on a rock or two ;)
the bang is very noticeable, but just on one side of the cab. need to paint the slider first before finding any rocks :D

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
TacoDell said:
Self fixed ? wtf

You mean dented the rockers in like mine. Nice fix :rolleyes:
no, I mean they clearanced the pinchweld themselves. Ive had pretty much the whole trucks weight (or pretty close) on the sliders. theyve never come close to the rocker panels. the sliders just bent up the pinch on their own :rolleyes:
the 1" body lift is gonna be a huge help when/if you ever do a crawl box and wanna clock it :D

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I've dented my rockers with sliders on my Tacoma... they were the same as his... don't hit any rocks, trees, etc with a ton of force... the body WILL flex into the sliders.

Its probably a rarity though... my sliders were dented to shit... and I pushed the rig to it's limits.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts