TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to put together what its going to take to regear my 98. So far I've got the gear set,master install kit. Do I need anything else? :confused:
Also - what company would you guys recommend?
And what ratio should I go with? Im running the 2.7 with 33x12.50's. Mostly city driving. Should I just go with 4.88's since someday I would like to run 35's?
Give me all the input you guys have :D
Rob

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
98Taco2 said:
Starting to put together what its going to take to regear my 98. So far I've got the gear set,master install kit. Do I need anything else? :confused:
And what ratio should I go with? Im running the 2.7 with 33x12.50's. Mostly city driving. Should I just go with 4.88's since someday I would like to run 35's?
Rob
FSM, Carrier shims

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have a 98 2.7l w/33x12.5's and i'm geared to 4.88 . I have Precision Gears and Master install kits, came with everything needed.....shop supplied shims. If you are mostly city driving you will be incredibly pleased w/the 4.88 gears. I love mine, tons of power (eventhough it's a 4banger) that is usable. On the highway it gets annoying since i sit at 3100 rpms at about 70mph. Other than that 4.88's , 33's and a 2.7l are a great combo. If you wanted 35's i'd go 5.29 for sure.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
I bought new 5:29 gears from Yukon through a local fabricator and I am very happy with them
I have 33" ProComp MT, but going up to 35 MTR, soon
I had to buy a Master install kit because I was at 120K miles

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
98Taco2 said:
Rob
I'm guessing you have the prerunner with only rear gears ;)
gears and install kit is the major stuff. gear oil, a tube of that gasket goop,
might as well replace the rear axle seals while you're at it for around $15.

as for ratio, If you have the 5-sp go with 4.56s or 4.88s, if the AT, 4.88s or 5.29s. It all depends on what you plan on doing with your truck. If just for street and mostly hwy driving go with the higher (lower #) ratios. If you need more pulling power for towing/hauling, etc. go with the lower ones.
I run 4.88s/33s and my city mileage actually has gone up. Hwy mileage, however, at speeds over 70 have lowered my mileage a tad. drive at 80 for much distance and it takes a big dump ;)

In all honesty, forget the 35s with the 2.7 and IFS unless you run the supercharger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I've got 4wd, so I've got to do the front as well. I do mostly city driving with little highway - so Im thinking I should go w/ the 4.88's since I have the manual tanny. I started to think about it and have decided not to go with the 35's simply because I dont need them. So would I be best off with the 4.88's or will 4.56's do me ok?
I am assuming with any new set I will be please because I just found out I've got the 3.58 combo right know - didnt even know it! chime in and let me know. Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
485 Posts
I love my 2.7l 5spd w/ 4.56s and 33x12.50's.. 3000rpm at 80mph on the freeway, nice power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so 4.56's should do me well - I was thinking. But would I get more power if I ran 4.88's? Ive got 93k on the taco, so im looking to wake her up a little.
Rob

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
98Taco2 said:
Actually, I've got 4wd, so I've got to do the front as well. I do mostly city driving with little highway - so Im thinking I should go w/ the 4.88's since I have the manual tanny. I started to think about it and have decided not to go with the 35's simply because I dont need them. So would I be best off with the 4.88's or will 4.56's do me ok?
I am assuming with any new set I will be please because I just found out I've got the 3.58 combo right know - didnt even know it! chime in and let me know. Thanks
Rob
you're running 33s with 3.58s? LOL do you have to have someone push you to get you going? :p

from what you describe I think you'll be very happy with 4.88s. That's the combo I run now. I went from OE 4.30s to 4.56s when I got the 33x10.50s and that got me back to stock performance but I wanted a little more. My in town mileage actually went up when I switched to 4.88s from the 4.56s. Hwy mileage, however, went down a little but only when I cruse over 65. If I keep the speed down to 65 or less I'm getting about 20, up from 18 with 4.56s.

but, like you say, going from what you have now, anything will be better ;)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Seriously as i said above, my 98 2.7l rolling 33x12.5's geared to 4.88 is absolutely great. That is by far my recommendation for gearing. I can't believe you have 3.58's that is probably unbearable lol. You will not believe the diff. when you gear. It will make it feel like a brand new truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts