TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
A buddy and I just purchased an '87 Toyota pickup in Cali and we're driving it home to NY. We're headed thru CO from AZ headed north. We might stay in the denver area over the weekend. In order for us to make it home we need to get a vacuum leak fixed from under the carb. If possible, we'd like to get it rejetted as well. Can someone send us in a direction of someone who can fix us up?
We could also use some parts if there is some place I could find those.
Are there any trails open? I'd love to find some places to explore. Most importantly though, I need some carb work.

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I know a guy selling a redline carb in a few weeks. I may have a guy who can get you sealed up again. I will ask tomorrow

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you thought of buying a re-manufactured carb, I bought mine a few years ago at a decent price. If so there are plenty of places to purchase one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you thought of buying a re-manufactured carb, I bought mine a few years ago at a decent price. If so there are plenty of places to purchase one.
I haven't. I don't know the cost of them and I am trying to keep expenses low as possible since I plan to sell the truck after I get home. How much could I expect to spend on one?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Why are you wanting to rejet? For the altitude? It won't be worth it. You'll be over the mountains and back down in half the time it would take to rejet the carb. Most people are running stock jets at altitude anyway.

I'm fairly good with Weber carburetors, but the Aisins aren't much different. I could potentially help you out this weekend, depending on where you (and I) will be. However like most people here, I'm on the Eastern slope, which means you would have to get over the mountains with the carburetor acting up.

Most of the time those carburetors will work great as long as you clean out the jets, and get rid of the leaks. Here's what I would do: Go to the nearest hardware store and purchase the following: Torch tip cleaners, carburetor cleaner and some basic hand tools (if you don't have these already) and just spend a couple hours cleaning it, and going through the vacuum stuff. Pull out the jets, and make sure you can see through them. Check the operation of the float valve to ensure that's working... A Chilton's manual and vacuum hose can be found pretty much anywhere if any of that causes you troubles.

Really, these things are super easy to work on. What are the running issues with it anyway?

What kind of parts do you need? We have junkyards and auto parts stores filled with Toyota stuff...

There are some trails open if you want to snowbash.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we have narrowed it down to a leaky base gasket or seal below the carb. It most likely needs to be pulled off and new gasket applied. The issue with the truck is a hesitation (surging) at slow speeds. The jetting I want to do is for hp. It was jetted down to pass smog, which is no longer necessary.
thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any update vwfast60?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In Denver tonight. Would really like to get this truck looked at. Need to get the tires rotated as well. Any shops around here you guys can recommend?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
In Denver tonight. Would really like to get this truck looked at. Need to get the tires rotated as well. Any shops around here you guys can recommend?
The Toy Doctor is off of south Broadway. The tech I go to (thefatkid on here) works for Groove Toyota Dealer so you probably do not want to go there. That's all I can think of or might recommend.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did call the Toy Doctor, they were the most helpful so far and could take a look at it in the morning, but they might not be able to fix it or have the parts. It looks like we'l be driving home as-is. Its manageable if we can stay out of towns and 35mph zones. Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts