TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new, so dont bash me too too bad.

I just got a 2002 D-Cab SR5 TRD Prerunner.

Picked up a set of these today, and installed them about 15 minutes ago.

Everything bolted up fine, except when I start it and put it in drive, it doesnt move. The same goes for reverse. At first I thought it was they heavyness of the wheels, but now i'm not so sure. I read on here that 31's are the largest you can fit on a stock truck without a lift kit.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the rear drum is rubbing since they are 15" rims?

Any help is appreciated. I'm new to trucks in general, so be easy.

NomadTRD

·
Registered
622 Posts
did u try and give it any gas? i know my swampers have a lot of rolling resistance but i got a stick so i dont know how much torque those autos put down at idle. probly a dumb question but figured i would throw it out there. also they look like stock yota rims so they shouldnt be rubbing the caliper but u can check that as well as see if they are rubbing the upper control arm but i dont see that happening with 31s either.

·
Registered
622 Posts
thought about it some more and those dont look like tacoma wheels...are they? if not and off an older yota make check to see if they are rubbing the caliper...may need a 1/4" wheel spacer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah if a mod wants to move this to the wheel section, that is cool too.

It seems as though this guy is also runnig 31x10.5x15R : http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61777

The guy I bought them from said he had them on a taco, however he did not say what year.

I'll give it some more gas, maybe they are just locked up due to tight fit? I dont want to f*** it up since its my DD.

They definetly clear the front (which was my main concern) but I cannot do a full left/right swing since I can get it to go forward or backward yet.

I just dont want to break it, ive only had it two weeks.:cool:

·
Registered
622 Posts
if its not rolling with gas being applied something is binded up...jack up the truck and try and spin each wheel by hand see where its rubbing....
that would narrow it down to whats keep you from rolling

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just threw the oem16" on the back, lowered it, and it still will not drive...

I am at a loss for words...

Step by step:

Jacked up the left side, removed stock wheels, installed black wheels, lowered half way, filled tires with air, lowered all the way down. Identical on the right side, jacked right frame rail up, replaced both side side wheels and tires, lowered half way, filled with air, lowered all the way down.

I'm thinking maybe I hit a fail safe some where, and it locked the truck up? I know back when I owned a Ford Probe, it had a reset button in the trunk under the carpeting.

Is there anything like that on a Taco?

·
Registered
160 Posts
ill assume you put your transfer case in neutral at one time.....take it outta neutral......or take off you E-brake:D

·
Registered
622 Posts
i just threw the oem16" on the back, lowered it, and it still will not drive...

I am at a loss for words...

Step by step:

Jacked up the left side, removed stock wheels, installed black wheels, lowered half way, filled tires with air, lowered all the way down. Identical on the right side, jacked right frame rail up, replaced both side side wheels and tires, lowered half way, filled with air, lowered all the way down.

I'm thinking maybe I hit a fail safe some where, and it locked the truck up? I know back when I owned a Ford Probe, it had a reset button in the trunk under the carpeting.

Is there anything like that on a Taco?
i have never heard of anything like that on an 02 and i know theres nothing like that on my 98. when u jacked it up did u try and turn the tires with ur hand to see if they spun freely?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was in park when i jacked it up, so the wheels wouldnt turn when i took of the lug nuts. When I started it up, put it in drive, i took off the ebrake and let off the brake pedal, and nothing.

I dont know what the 'transfer case in neutral' means, i never had it in neutral when i swapped out the wheels. When it wouldnt drive, I put it in Neutral to try and push it, and it still didnt move.

i've been reading yotatech and everyone over there is talking about 1/4" spacers are needed because of the center hub having a lip on the inside face of the wheel

It's already 1130 here, I am heading to bed I will play with it tomorrow and snap pictures of everything, I appreciate the help guys.

Yeah I am new to trucks and yeah I hope I didnt break it already.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,582 Posts
ill assume you put your transfer case in neutral at one time.....take it outta neutral......or take off you E-brake:D
He doesnt have a transfer case, its a prerunner.

Put the stock tires back on the front and see what happens. Or at least jack up the front with those new tires and see if you can spin a wheel by hand. The rims might be sandwiched against the calipers. The front wheels should spin freely unless you have your foot on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
just like others have said check for clearance between your calipers. we tried to install some rims on my friends 01 tacoma and it couldnt spin because of the rim hitting, a spacer was added and it drove fine.

it shouldnt have to do with the 31's since im running 31's on my 96 with no problems at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bet the e-brake is stuck. My '96 taco did that once. I have 31x10.5x15 tires with aftermarket wheels.Apparently when the rear brakes shoes are worn enough. the parking brake mechanism doesn't like to release because the shoes moved too far and cause the adjusters to hang up a little. I went around the back of the truck with a hammer and a can of spray lube. I used the hammer to knock everything loose, then I used the spray lube to make sure everything was working freely. It took me less than 5 minutes and I didn't have to jack the truck up or anything.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
so you are the one that "won" that auction on ebay:D Good choice, i think it was a great deal. Shipping was just way too much for me:mad:

As stated before, double check that those wheels are actually clearing the calipers.

Second, again, keep in mind that these are the bias ply swampers. They ARE NOT made for street use.

So after you clear the headache of the current problem, make sure you don't drive 'em on the road. It will feel like you are driving with square tires:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeah the truck is bone stock and I just need a set of tires to play in the mud.

I'll have to drive them on the street a little, to get to the trails.

I'll snap some pictures today, and post up. I thought it was a good deal too, the SS TSL's online are $127 ea., and I figure since they're already mounted on rims it was a good price.

Now if I can just get the damn thing to roll forward or backward!

EDIT: They are definetly hitting the calipers. I'm ordering spacers today, hopefully I will be up and running this weekend. I dont know if they guy had these on a taco with spacers, and kept the spacers for new wheels, kind of screwed me over and didnt mention that when I bought them. Oh well, I should be boggin' by this weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1/4" spacers on all 4 hubs solved the problem.

Took it out today, got some great pictures, and little mud splash.

Sorry for a lot of pictures, I love my taco.:kewl:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
1/4" spacers on all 4 hubs solved the problem.

Took it out today, got some great pictures, and little mud splash.

Sorry for a lot of pictures, I love my taco.:kewl:
damn yotatech guys...:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep. i wanted to get her muddy just so i could wash/clay/wax her again. i definitly didnt plan on getting stuck though.

i think its time to buy a winch, or upgrade to a 4x4. winch would probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nomad, incase youre interested to know, those are stock Toyota wheels, 88-95. They came chrome, black, & silver. I guess chrome ones were on the 88-89 SR5's. I think these are a 4.5" backspace. IIRC Taco alloys are 3.5".

I'm kinda surprised you got them to work with only 1/4" spacers. I am using 1.5" with mine and a 33x9.5, and they are close to the top end of the A-arm.

Glad it worked out for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts