TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new camburg 2.5's from Demello and now the bottom bolt won't come off the old shock any ideas short of cutting with torch? tried bfh penetrating fluid and more BFH, the nut side is loose but the other side seems to be siezed to the bracket I really have no ideas. Also anyone in the Fort Rucker area that wants to help I will buy the beer:eek:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Impact wrench after letting penetrating lube work overnight seems to be popular. Mine came off with a 12in socket though, so im a bad person for advice.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
well assuming there is tension off of the bolt. Like you have the top 3 bolts un done right? and it dropped down a little? you can do this by putting the stock bottle jack up side down on top of the upper control arm and crank it down to where it is pushing the spindal down taking preasure off the bolt. then take and impact to the bolt side and see if it will at least break it lose. that should do it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a cheater bar from a hilift break a socket on the bolt?!?!?!?!! Yes tension is off the top and it moves up and down even used said cheater bar to push down on the a-arm as i hit it with the BFH

·
Registered
264 Posts
soak it in penetrating lube over night. Wet a rag in the stuff and leave it on it. Use an impact gun or a cheater bar with some heat on the nut. Use a propane torch and heat the nut up. Keep a dry rag around to throw over any flames that the lube may create. Other option is to drill the head off the bolt. It will take a wile but would probably work. Once the head is drilled off, beat the shaft out with another thinner bolt or punch.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a question, I bought my truck used as most do, what side is the nut supposed to be on for this mine is on the front with the bolt to the rear making it very hard to cut off?:confused: if the penetrate stuff doesnt work i am just going to cut off the bottom of the shock and cut the bolt into little pieces then melt those little pieces down and then think of something else bad to do them :mad:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a question, I bought my truck used as most do, what side is the nut supposed to be on for this mine is on the front with the bolt to the rear making it very hard to cut off?:confused: if the penetrate stuff doesnt work i am just going to cut off the bottom of the shock and cut the bolt into little pieces then melt those little pieces down and then think of something else bad to do them :mad:
Does the bolt flex at all when you try to brake it and just go back to the original position or does it move at all? I'm just trying to get an idea if it is seized on the bracket or bonded with the rubber grommets.
Is this the first of the install or have you done anything else? Can you cinch it back down and make a drive to Montgomery? (An hour and 15 minutes?) I could help you right after noon tomorrow (Saturday) if you could. Or maybe I could come down there Sunday If you are 'grounded'...........aviation terms:D
Are you stationed at Ft. Rucker and live on base or do you live on the 3 corners------Daleville, Ozark or Enterprise?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anyone near by to help a n00b not break his new stuff?
Where are ya located? I live 30 miles from Mobile, and if your not to far, I'll ride over and give ya a hand.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty grounded right now, the bolt has been pretty beat up in the process of removal. This is the first suspension mod i have made and the drivers side went in smoothly so I was not expecting any headaches on the otherside. I live in Enterprise and am going through flight school (insturments) right now any help is appreciated dinner at the least and I might even be able to help with gas I just need someone who for sure knows whats going on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can get the bolt to move around like its seized inside the bushing surrounded by rubber? any ideas? Oh yeah tried fire not working

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK i managed to cut off the shock but the bottom part where the sleeve is, is still inside gonna angle grind the rest of the bolt off see if that works

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cut:
bottom of the shock
front side of the bolt
good portion of the tip of my ring finger ( I have two dont worry)
back side of the bolt.
Then it came out now I have a custom bilstien paper weight

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well good to hear that you didnt lose your whole finger, and you got the bolt out

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Cut:
bottom of the shock
front side of the bolt
good portion of the tip of my ring finger ( I have two dont worry)
back side of the bolt.
Then it came out now I have a custom bilstien paper weight
If you still need help or run into any more problems, I could get down there tomorrow afternoon or at least Sunday. Yeah, the bolt was seized on the bushing. I felt that must have been the problem or close.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still might need some help with the AAL on the 6 your more then welcome to come down or now I can come up to you is there anywhere to wheel near by its mostly swamp down here.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I still might need some help with the AAL on the 6 your more then welcome to come down or now I can come up to you is there anywhere to wheel near by its mostly swamp down here.
It's damn dry since it hasn't rained for the whole month of May and it's not swampy. But it's not fun either. If you don't like mud, it kinda sux down here unless you hit some of the ORV parks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts