TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have tried to search this forum for information on CB radios, but have been unsuccessful. In other words, I don't know how to SEARCH??? Just need a little help here. Can anyone give me some insight as to where a good place would be to buy a CB radio?? I noticed some people on this forum are using the Cobra 18WX ST II. Seems pretty small and inexpensive. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Since you are in Aurora I imagine the Sapp Brothers Truck stop would also have what you need. There is also a good CB shop (can't remember the name) down in Lakewood off of Colfax.

·
Registered
390 Posts
if thats the radio you want (Cobra 18WX ST II) most wal-marts carry them, right at $50, i like the radio, or you can order online it was like $60 shipped, then ya got to get a antenna, and get it tuned.
Id suggest getting the radio "tuned and peaked" before installing it, Radio Service Center did a GREAT job on mine.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
No need to pay for the tuning - a couple club members have SWR meters. If your antenna is way out and you try to use it, you could damage the radio - so hook up with one of them to get it tuned in right after the install.

I would highly recommend a tunable antenna. I'm currently using a stainless center load whip by Hustler, and it is holding up REALLY well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably try to hit-up one of the Truck stops for the CB. Anyone have anything good to say about the Wilson 1000 or the K40 Superflex antennas??

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Anyone have anything good to say about the Wilson 1000 or the K40 Superflex antennas??
I have heard great things, but never used them myself. They're LONG though!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CB antenna

Sorry, don't know much about CBs. Is it best to get the NO-Ground type antenna (I assume instead of a grounded antenna). What's the pros & cons? :confused:
Thanks again.
Jim

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Troy

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
need CB help

I really need some help here! I bought the Cobra 18WX ST II front speaker unit; however, it doesn't fit in my truck!

Where is everyone mounting a CB in the new style 2006 Tacomas?? What brand and model CB are you using? There doesn't seem to be any place/room to mount a CB in the Tacoma, nothing in the dash, and the tray in the center console is NOT DEEP enough?? It only seems to be about 5" Deep and most CB radios are at least 6 3/4" Deep! :confused:

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I just rest mine in the center console under the cig lighter. It bounces all over the place, but I installed a quick disconnect, and I only use it when I'm on the trails.....

There's some threads out there with placement ideas - check em out. I like either the side of the center console near the passenger foot area, or the back of the center console behind the storage box.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72853&highlight=cb+mount

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63727&highlight=cobra+cb

THis is the cleanest install I've seen:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t155723.html

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
need antenna help

I installed the Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio with a Wilson FGT-3, tunable, flexible antenna-mounted behind the cab, on the bed rail. The antenna sticks up past the roof line about 1-1/2 ft.

My problem is I can't get the antenna tuned properly. My SWR readings are greater than 3:1 on channel 1 & 40. Checked SWR with and without the antenna grounded; makes no difference. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do? Or, know a GOOD CB shop I can take it to? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Hey didn't we talk about this yesterday? ;)

There is a CB shop on Sheridan and near Colfax or 6th ave (Not far from where we are at the swap meet). I can't remember what it was called though. Also Doug at ToyTech Lifts is also incredibly CB savy. He might know a good place or have stuff for you.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks Molly

I think I'll check w/ Doug at ToyTec

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I installed the Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio with a Wilson FGT-3, tunable, flexible antenna-mounted behind the cab, on the bed rail. The antenna sticks up past the roof line about 1-1/2 ft.

My problem is I can't get the antenna tuned properly. My SWR readings are greater than 3:1 on channel 1 & 40. Checked SWR with and without the antenna grounded; makes no difference. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do? Or, know a GOOD CB shop I can take it to? :rolleyes:
thats the CB i have, I really like it :) i have a firestick antenna tho
it tuned really well for me. I tuned it on channel 20...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
baffled?

OK, I’m baffled??? Why is that some people can get away with mounting their CB antenna on the front bumper or at the back of the bed, near the tailgate, but I can’t seem to make it work behind the cab? My SWR readings are greater than 3:1 on all channels. I have seen pickups with the antenna behind the cab; does mine NOT work because it’s a composite bed? Any insight?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
381 Posts
yes you have a problem with the bed being composit, the perpouse of the antenna being mounted to metal is for a ground plane with out it it will not work. hard to explane, mabee towerrigger can explain that better.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts