TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a few Wyoming members here. I need help getting a cheap or free battery for an 08 Mazda 3 in Cheyenne. The girlfriend is in Cheyenne for school for 2 weeks and her battery is dying. If someone can loan a battery is be sure to get it back to you within a few weeks. If you can help out shoot me a call or text to iron out the details. Seventoozero 95one twenty3thirty5.

If nobody can help out, no worries, I'll have to drive up in the next day or two and take care of it.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
If the battery is dying, maybe the alternator is dead already? Just a thought... and good luck getting her fixed up.

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If your headed up or anyone is you can take the one from my Lexus. I have a replacement just no reason to swap it out yet

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some reading and research its the alternator. I guess her car is kind of known for it. 1 of the 2 charge ports shorts and is not drawing correct resistance so the charge light comes on. I'll be heading up Thursday after work to put a new alternator in it.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Hopefully the alt isn't much more than a new battery and good thing you aren't just throwing parts at it; that shiite gets $$ quick. Another hope the alt isn't a royal bitch to change out; and as for the alt being bad...

*pats self on back*

:D

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasn't the alternator dammit! I hate this car now lol.

We ran the car for about 45 minutes total (30 with the lights off, 15 with them on) after Jay (ekj) and I swapped the alternator.

Initially, after replacing it, the light immediately came back on. So we checked fuses, etc. etc., disconnected the battery again to reset everything, hooked it back up and fired it up. After 45 minutes of run time, the light had not come back on.

The following morning the girlfriend calls and says the light came back on, again. Joy. So I did more reading, and the next place to look is potentially the MAF. I guess mazda ran the harness too tight, and 1 of the wires tends to pull loose. When it does this, it throws the charge light.

At this point I know it has a working alternator, and the car is (for now) running and driving fine. I told her to just keep her phone on her, and if something were to happen and the car quits running I will go fix it (presuming, that 1 wire is loose). But right now, I'm having a hard time justifying driving to Cheyenne again just to see if 1 wire is loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts