TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all-

So my cv boots are cracked and about to tear. I bough 2 remanned cv's from oriellys for $59 w/$100 core return. The problem is that I live in a condo and do most of my repairs in the parking garage. As it turns out-the building manager is tired of me welding () and messing with my truck in there. If anyone is free on saturday and would be willing to share a garage and help with the work - I would be more than happy to bring some beer, $50, and work on it with you! I live in Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys area - but I could travel a bit.

Thanks

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,485 Posts
We are playing auto shop at my place in Simi Valley tomorrow. You are welcome to join the fun. Do you have the spindle nut socket for the CVs? (I'm assuming you have ADD diff) That is about the only tool I don't have for the job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds great man. I didn't realize there was a special socket for the spindle nut. Is this something that I can pickup at oriellys when I get the cvs? Also- I was going to buy the 35mm socket, breaker bar, locktight, diff fluid. Anything else you can think of that I need? I have two bottle jacks, but I have camburg uca so I wont need to jack down the arm.

just realized that this IS the 35mm socket...noob here

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,485 Posts
Just get the 35mm socket, diff fluid, and blue loctite. I got all the rest of the tools needed at my house.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tyler, that's pretty cool of you to offer up your garage and a helping hand. :clap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool and appreciated!

:saw: :welder:

I love working on these trucks - I just need to rent house with a garage. You get some pretty funny looks when you do this sort of stuff in a parking lot :D I think its also really important for me to learn how to do this rather than leaving it at a shop. If it breaks during a run I don't want to stand there kicking tires. I was looking online and using search on this forum and it seems like its pretty straight forward. I could prolly just replace the boots even, but I'd like to keep one of my oem's as a spare.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You must have glazed over the part where he also offered $50 and free beer. Not passing that offer up. :xbeer1:
I see. Yes of course the beer is important!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
You must have glazed over the part where he also offered $50 and free beer. Not passing that offer up. :xbeer1:
That reminds me - I still owe you for your trail repair assistance on Pilot Rock...

How 'bout an autographed picture? :xpfft:

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I could prolly just replace the boots even, but I'd like to keep one of my oem's as a spare.
Keep both of them as spares. Re boot them and save them for when those parts house cv's break or throw a boot.
Those parts house ones are crap IMHO. Ask Jamie about the time he's referring to below...

That reminds me - I still owe you for your trail repair assistance on Pilot Rock...

How 'bout an autographed picture? :xpfft:
:lmao:

Y'all have fun at Tylers tomorrow.. I was planning on doing some moderate wheelin with my girl.. then realized getting the valves adjusted was a better idea. If I wasn't burdened with that I would have DEFF offered up the help.
Though, I do most of my work in the driveway or on the curb.. :D
But my neighbors don't bitch.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
lol - :D

...I do still owe you, though.
I'll have to get you a nice bottle or something when I get back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to extend a big thank you to tyler... this guy saved me big time on this repair. Tyler - are you sure you are not a mechanic? lol you seem to know everything about these trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts