TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright as most of you know im a newbie to the off road scene and Ive been searching around and my rear shocks are not long enough to allow more flex. i have around 11" i can go to and right now my shocks limit me to 8" extended length. i looked at rancho and bilstein but cannot find what im looking for does anyone know what brand and model shocks will allow me to have more flex out of my coil rear

·
Registered
273 Posts
take the shocks off the axle, and flex the tires all the way up, use a tape measure and check the compressed and extended lengths, then go from there looking for what length shock you n eed

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It will take some adapting (drilling and fasteners and such), but you can try FJ80 shocks.

$38 bucks each for PN 911184 (Monroe Reflex, no, I'm not kidding, Monroe) from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take the shocks off the axle, and flex the tires all the way up, use a tape measure and check the compressed and extended lengths, then go from there looking for what length shock you n eed
ya ive already done that. im just seeing if anyone on here has gotten longer shocks to help the rear flex more on a 2nd gen 4runner. if so i would love to know what shocks you used and before and after shots

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had a 2 gen runner like yours with a 4" DB lift. I just used pro comp shocks (ES9000) that came with the lift, and that was plenty of flex out the rear.

At some point you can have too much flex in the rear, considering you have just a few inches in the front. The imbalance will do more bad then good. Considering the truck is so top heavy. Ask me how I know... take the sway bars off and throw them away, and start saving for a SAS.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 2 gen runner like yours with a 4" DB lift. I just used pro comp shocks (ES9000) that came with the lift, and that was plenty of flex out the rear.

At some point you can have too much flex in the rear, considering you have just a few inches in the front. The imbalance will do more bad then good. Considering the truck is so top heavy. Ask me how I know... take the sway bars off and throw them away, and start saving for a SAS.
Sway bars went away the first day I got it, and I'm already in the process of sasing it right now, all I need to do is order my steering. But if I can get a inch or two more tuck in the rear out of coils I wanna leave them and start saving to swap the rear to either leafs or leave coils

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
ya ive already done that. im just seeing if anyone on here has gotten longer shocks to help the rear flex more on a 2nd gen 4runner. if so i would love to know what shocks you used and before and after shots
uh that would be how you would determine what shocks you need dude. Go out and measure it then get online and look up the manufactures shock lengths and order some up.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This, it's not rocket science. If you've taken the measurements, you know what size shocks you need.
I went on rancho, and bilstein and can't find measurements.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
warning before you go with some really long shocks or anything more than stock. put heims, johnny joints whatever in your links, and make them longer if you can. what will happen is the stock links will rip the axel link mounts off the housing!!(been there done that). when this happens bad thing will follow!!

cut all that stuff out and do a real 3 link, or swap in some 63's and be done.
if your buddy works a fab shop this should be a no-brained for him

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
warning before you go with some really long shocks or anything more than stock. put heims, johnny joints whatever in your links, and make them longer if you can. what will happen is the stock links will rip the axel link mounts off the housing!!(been there done that). when this happens bad thing will follow!!

Good to know thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
im sure you just want us to tell you what to spend your money on, but w/o doing the research yourself you'll probably end up getting to long or short of shocks, and have to send back and get new ones.

learn from the mistakes of others that have already been there, done that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im sure you just want us to tell you what to spend your money on, but w/o doing the research yourself you'll probably end up getting to long or short of shocks, and have to send back and get new ones.

learn from the mistakes of others that have already been there, done that.
actually when i googled on my phone it would not pull anything up but now on a computer everything pops up.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Like this junk I made...1.5" .250 wall DOM tube

Or if you want a bushing...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like this junk I made...1.5" .250 wall DOM tube

Or if you want a bushing...

Sweet thanks for the info, I'm actually just gunna swap over to leafs in rear too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
my 97 toy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing