TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize. It’s an interior/exterior electrical problem, so I figured it’d be ok here. Feel free to move if needed.

1999 4Runner Limited, 3.4L. Was orginally a 2wd, did the 4WD conversion. got rid of all the ADD shit, and went to manual hubs and manual transfer case. I scored a set of ARB air lockers and 4.88 gears, front and rear, the only problem was they were from an 8.4, and the Runner was a 8". So, I did a 63" Chevy swap in the rear, with a 8.4 NON ABS housing.

When I did the manual hub swap, the speedo would stop working if I hit a pothole or something like that. I would shut the truck down, turn it back on, and it would work fine. Once I did the 63” swap, my speedo stopped working COMPLETLY. For the last couple months, I've been trying to figure out how to get it to work again, all the while using an app on my iPhone for a speedometer.

My question is, How does the speedo work on a 4Runner? Does it have ANYTHING to do with the ABS? Or is there a sensor somewhere on the transmission/transfer case that I am missing? I know that when I got the transfer case, it had a little hole in the back for a speedo gear, but no gear. So I just took the plug off the ADD case and put it in there with no problems. Now, I’m trying to figure out if I missed simple along the way, or if there’s something major that I need to do in order to get the speedo working again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
First, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize. It’s an interior/exterior electrical problem, so I figured it’d be ok here. Feel free to move if needed.

1999 4Runner Limited, 3.4L. Was orginally a 2wd, did the 4WD conversion. got rid of all the ADD shit, and went to manual hubs and manual transfer case. I scored a set of ARB air lockers and 4.88 gears, front and rear, the only problem was they were from an 8.4, and the Runner was a 8". So, I did a 63" Chevy swap in the rear, with a 8.4 NON ABS housing.

When I did the manual hub swap, the speedo would stop working if I hit a pothole or something like that. I would shut the truck down, turn it back on, and it would work fine. Once I did the 63” swap, my speedo stopped working COMPLETLY. For the last couple months, I've been trying to figure out how to get it to work again, all the while using an app on my iPhone for a speedometer.

My question is, How does the speedo work on a 4Runner? Does it have ANYTHING to do with the ABS? Or is there a sensor somewhere on the transmission/transfer case that I am missing? I know that when I got the transfer case, it had a little hole in the back for a speedo gear, but no gear. So I just took the plug off the ADD case and put it in there with no problems. Now, I’m trying to figure out if I missed simple along the way, or if there’s something major that I need to do in order to get the speedo working again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, the 3rd gen 4Runner speedos work off of the ABS sensors.
Depending on which t-case you have you should be able to wire in a VSS that will fit on the back of the case.

Google will be your friend.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, the 3rd gen 4Runner speedos work off of the ABS sensors.
Depending on which t-case you have you should be able to wire in a VSS that will fit on the back of the case.

Google will be your friend.

Thank you Scuba. I guess I was entering the wrong stuff into google, because as soon as I put in something about the "VSS into 3rd gen 4Runner" something on pirate came up.

Again, thank you for the clarifaction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts