TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has experience or the equipment to press ball joints from spindles. The reason im asking is im hopefully getting some Camburg UCA's for a steal off TW and the only part of the install im not equipped to handle is pressing out the old ball joints and pressing in the new Uniball slugs for the new UCA's. I would just take the spindle off and take it to a shop but my taco is my only ride :rolleyes: so any advice or help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rent a ball joint press tool from oreilly/napa. Free of charge. Looks like a giant c-clamp with some adapters

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Rent a ball joint press tool from oreilly/napa. Free of charge. Looks like a giant c-clamp with some adapters
This is what I did to replace the uniballs on my TC UCAs. Be prepared to press sied-to-side until they seat. It helps to have a bench vice as a third hand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jesus so i rented the ball joint press and i bought a pickle fork and WTF i can not get the UCA to seperate from the balljoint. did you guys do anything special? i am currently soaking them with pb blaster to see if that help but holy hell those things are stuck on there!

·
7,735 Posts
I just smack the side of the UCA right where the ball joint is. It takes a good few hits. You're looking to slightly deform the UCA for a moment so the BJ drops out.

I was a little nervous the first time I'd done it, but it works and leaves no permanent damage (except for a couple of scars where the hammer makes contact).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i finally finished up at 7 today, that was the biggest pain in the ass ive ever had to deal with! probably would be easier if i had the correct tools but oh well jimmie rigging presses worked out in the end. I just wish i woulda known how much a torch would have helped. used my backpacking stove to heat up the a-arm that was seized on the ball joint and boom came right out! oh and that noise was my carrier bearing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts