TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the fan clutch off.

There are 4 bolts coming from one of the pulleys and the fan clutch bracket attaches to that. One of the bolts is already broken from a previous job by some mechanic, so there are 3 bolts left.

Which way do you turn to loosen them - is it left?
What do you do when the pulley turns too? Is there a way to block it or something?

Are there some tricks I need to know?

Sorry if this sounds simple, but the truck has 209k on it and is old, rusted and basically a POS, but I need to get it working.

Thank you

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Use a prybar to keep the fan from spinning while you loosen the nuts (normal direction, so if the wrench is on the driver side of the engine you will be pulling up on it).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. With my fan clutch the pulleys will still spin even though the fan is locked in place, which may explain why I need a new fan clutch. I am going to buy a strap wrench tomorrow and see if that helps. I have the PS and Alt belts removed, so I could get a good grip on things

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Use the pry bar between the shaft and one of the studs. Keep a nut on the stud so you dick up the threads.

Why are you taking off the fan clutch?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have overheating problems after being stuck in traffic for a while, even in 5 degree weather. I have a new radiator, thermostat(s), and water pump. The coolant is new, filled, without air bubbles and the correct mixture ratio. I have been messing with this off and on for a year. Several other members recommended a fan clutch replacement with one of the members stating that my problems were the same as his and a fan clutch fixed it. The truck has 209k on it. While draining the radiator fluid tonight it appeared clean with no traces of oil. I do not think I have a bad head gasket. The hg was replaced at 50k in 1999 as part of a recall. The coolant overflow tank does seem to contain boiling coolant after I stop, but I don't know if that means anything or not. The truck is semi-retired and fixing it is important, but does not have to happen overnight.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
My crystal ball tells me for your model, yr and engine it's lefty loosy, righty tighty?:rofl:
Flame suit on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts