TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I made a large mistake tonight. I tried to put on a brand new set of Camburg coil overs. Yet I did not do enough research to find out I need a spring compressor to get them in. So here’s my question since my truck is now sitting halfway in my garage is there any way I can get the new coil overs on. I'm not sure if there is a way i can make a spring compressor or fit them on some way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The truck is a 99 4 wd Tacoma 3.4 liter with the trd package. I do realize this is probably in the wrong area but I figured this is where the most people would see it and be able to give me advice

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
are they just too long to bolt up? if so try disconnecting your steering tie rod ends and the sway bar connections. and the brake line. this should give you enough room to bolt them up and get it resting on its own weight.

·
Registered
829 Posts
auto zone rents a coil compressor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have looked at both ideas it 11 oclock so i cant go to a store but heres my question if i disconnect the brake line am i going to need to rebleed the line. otherwise any other ways to do this or even make a homemade spring compressor. i do have a large amount of tools and me and my dad have been trying to figure out what we can do so i have already had one engineer trying to find a solution. but anything helps

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you remove the bottom ball joint? It's just 4 bolts. This should allow them to be installed, then just jack up the lower control are to line up the ball joint bolts again.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would strongly recommend you bag until tomorrow and go rent a spring compressor you'll be happy you did.

If you can't.... I ran into this same problem and used a improvised windlass to compress the spring just enough. It is potentially dangerous, my spring rate is 650#(?) which could do some damage.

I got everything into place as close as possible and then ran tubular nylon webbing(used for climbing mostly) around the top and bottom coils and then inserted a length of rod and cranked. Make sure the material is STOUT, not you're moms clothes line. Once you get it cranked down be VERY CAREFULL and secure the end of the bar or it will un spin and knock your teeth out or worse.

Again this is more of an emergency trail repair and not something I would suggest you try unless it's an EMERGENCY!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
831tacoma said:
Hello everyone I made a large mistake tonight. I tried to put on a brand new set of Camburg coil overs. Yet I did not do enough research to find out I need a spring compressor to get them in. So here’s my question since my truck is now sitting halfway in my garage is there any way I can get the new coil overs on. I'm not sure if there is a way i can make a spring compressor or fit them on some way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The truck is a 99 4 wd Tacoma 3.4 liter with the trd package. I do realize this is probably in the wrong area but I figured this is where the most people would see it and be able to give me advice
I dont see why you need spring compressor. coilovers are pretty much bolt ons. If you need more room, disconnect your sway bar.

Try read this article:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/donahoeinstall/donahoeinstall.htm

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would not attempt to make you own spring compressors. They can be dangerous enough as they are.

Are Camburgs that much longer?? If you are only looking for an inch or two (LOL :D ) grab a lengthy prybar.....install top bolts and pry into the positin.....(of course assuming you have the swaybar off already)

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I don't specifically know the Camburgs, but generally coilovers at fully extended length should fit the lower a-arm at maximum droop. Disconnect the sway bar, fit the top end loosely, then to slip the bottom bolt in either have someone stand on the a-arm or (better) pry it with a large pry-bar to get those last mm of droop. The brake hoses can stretch a little. If you need more than a little, then either something is wrong or it's something distinctive to Camburg. If it's just the diameter of the coils binding it up, do upper or lower balljoint. If you do lower, make sure you use the red loctite on those bolts.

·
Registered
514 Posts
not2XS said:
I don't specifically know the Camburgs, but generally coilovers at fully extended length should fit the lower a-arm at maximum droop. Disconnect the sway bar, fit the top end loosely, then to slip the bottom bolt in either have someone stand on the a-arm or (better) pry it with a large pry-bar to get those last mm of droop. The brake hoses can stretch a little. If you need more than a little, then either something is wrong or it's something distinctive to Camburg. If it's just the diameter of the coils binding it up, do upper or lower balljoint. If you do lower, make sure you use the red loctite on those bolts.
x2, you definately dont need a spring compressor, those coilovers, like others will push right in as long as your a-arm assembly is fully drooped down, I got em in by myself just prying the lower shock mount in place with a big ass screwdriver, oh yah make sure the coilover-adjustment seat is all the way down, if not itll never go in. You got it just take it slow and think things through.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cant you just loosen the adj.collar to no preload install the coilover and then crank them to whatever height your looking for?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What?

Cambugs are not just springs, they are coil-overs just as he stated. You may need to use your bottle-jack to push your lower control arm down. Unless you can get Sexytaco to sit on them. :D Does Camburg sell just springs? If so, I'm a serious dumb-ass! Get you bottle jack out! You shouldn't need to disconnect your lower ball joint. If you do, it's too much lift. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
370 Posts
831---got some pics of how close it is to going in? Just undo one side of the sway bar and see if that will do it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if you didn't disconnect the sway bar they won't fit in, thats why you are having such a hard time. just disconnect both sides and let the susp. droop and they will bolt in. still might need one guy to push down on the control arm.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
it takes two people to install my kings. one person holds the coilover into place and the other person pushes down on the rotor/studs to move the bottom a-arm into place so the first person can install the bottom bolt. after you have driven w/ the coilover for a couple of years the install the next time will be so much easier. all the suspension components will have adjusted to the coilovers. oh yeah, no way to install the coilovers w/ the swaybar connected.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
just take the stock bottle jack and put it between your fender and the top of the upper control arm and crank it so it pushes you arms down so u can put the camburg coilovers on and like everyone said disconnect your sway bar so it drops down even more

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
another helpfull tip, to pry the arms down you can use a prybar, slip it in through the upper arm on top, then rest the tip of the prybar on the bottom of where the arm bolts to the frame, you can use this leverage to pull the arm down by pulling the prybar down, it works rather well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts