TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's my cousin's 1994 extra cab, 3.0L, 4wd, 5spd. The lift went on fine (I think), but it's my cousin's truck so I'm not too terribly familiar w/ the little stuff on it (turns out a few things have changed between hers and my 99 Taco) and that leaves me with a few issues:
1.) The bumper brackets are either not right, or they are smarter than I am because they don't work...they don't allow the bumper to go onto the truck far enough because of a little crossbrace on each of the stock bumper brackets that can't clear the bolts on the new extender-brackets. (Terribly explained, but a problem nonetheless).
2.) How do you get the shift boots out short of cutting the carpet? There isn't a center console like my truck, there is just carpet and shift boots, but the shift boots don't just slide out and the carpet doesn't wanna move and the truck is now stuck in gear...kinda need to do something about that.
3.) How do I lengthen the fuel filler. My truck I could just cut out the plastic around the filler and kinda rig that to work; her truck's is metal, not plastic around the cap, so thats not gonna cut it...I need help there too.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Step 1 - throw BL in trash :)
As for the bumper brackets not lining up - does not suprise me. Time to get out the fab tools or do some :welder:
Shift boot - the rubber boot is attatched to the floor via 8 screws that are located under the carpet. You either have to remove the carpet or cut a slit in it for access. Next issue is since the body is further away from the trans, there may not be enough room in the existing hole to move the shifter. ...
Gas neck - yep -common problem. Either leave the neck hanging - hard to put gas in, find a way to extend the neck - more fab work or hack up the plastic part.
Soooo, it sounds like booty fab time...
Good Luck
* Brain fart - I have a wrecked 89 w/ a BL - will get pics of the bumper brkts. It may have the extended filler too. Will look today for ya.*

**OPINION - BL are crap. My suggestoin for some more lift - add a ball joint spacer, maybe a 1" BL and crank the bars .5 to 1.0 inches.**

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed all of the other problems and it's not my truck and she doesn't listen to reason when it comes to telling her that BLS's are crap...new question: now it won't run right...it's an electrical issue for sure, but I don't know what...you can jump it, and it will idle, but it dies if you cut on the headlights or sometimes just randomly when trying to drive it... I need help ASAP...
Ryan

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
body lifts rule!

congrats, a 3inch body lift is the one of the first things that should be done!
my trailmaster came with a fuel extender.
bumper brackets,should just switch sides and flip 'em over.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
check for a broke groundstrap.?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The positive cable for the battery was too short and they wrap the positive cable in together with the negative cable. So, when I comenced to yankin on that positive to get some slack, I pulled the negative from it's ground on the frame. It would have had enough slack otherwise, but since I pulled the positive up, I accidentally pulled the negative of it's ground...just had to lengthen the positive up by the terminal to give the whole bundle of wires enough slack to plug that ground clip back in. I did the body lift on my truck (1999 Tacoma) w/just one other buddy and it took about 7 hours, my cousin's truck we had 4 guys helpin and it took the better part of yesterday (from about 10am till 11pm workin straight w/ only 2 breaks) and then this morning from 8:30 till about 11am.... so alot of hours...I had a Roger Brown kit and the steering extension was so much better on his kits than what is included in the performance accessories crap my cousin bought. They give you a little aluminum splined extension that is supposed to connect two steel pieces that are splined...whats the weak link there??? Didn't make much sense to me and we ended up mushrooming the end of the aluminum crap trying to make it fit, which made about 2 hours playin w/a bench grinder, the extension and the steering shaft necessary. The front bumper brackets didn't work for crap (I had to take one of the existing braces out of the stock bumper for them to work) and on top of all of that, the hardware sucks. I feel alot more comfortable w/ my grade 8 stuff on my kit than whatever hers had. I wasn't very happy with the performance accessories kit at all. (But, on a side note, my cousin used to drive a 98 Taco and we put the PA kit on that with no problems, so it is probably just her particular truck, but I'll tell you what, that thing really pissed me off.) Good Luck on your friend's. Also, the fuel filler neck, we ended up stripping 2 of the holes so that the screws only go into them a few threads. My experience w/ that thing generally sucked.
Ryan

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
too bad about the hassle with that lift.
the trailmaster kit i have was very complete.no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts