TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to have the truck inspected today and it was failed because the 3rd brake light wont work. Brought it home and checked bulbs. One was blown so I went ahead and replaced all three. Still won`t work. Brake lights do work.

The 3rd brake light used to flash a few times when brake pedal was pressed and then it would stay on solid until brakes released. Is there a flasher/relay located somewhere?

I located the brake light switch under the dash (4 wires: red, purple, and 2 gray) Got continuity between the red and purple when pedal was pressed.

Can anybody explain what I need to check? Electrical isn`t my strong suit but I can sometimes fumble my way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1996 /Ext Cab /LX model /3.4L /manual

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would test to see if you are getting volts across the bulb terminals in the light. If you are getting power there, its the bulbs for some reason. If you arent getting constant 12v there, its somewhere in the switch. You could always steal power from the wire taking power to the rear brake lights, and disconnect the current set up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i dont have that issue, but i beleive there is a relay under the hood in the relay/fuse box, mine is on driver side right behind the battery. check power at the light first, then procede to look for a relay would be me advice. sorry i cant be of more help, good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Went out the next day and applied the brake and the 3rd brake light started flashing but continued to flash as long as I kept my foot on the brake.
Still haven`t located the "flasher". Didn`t see any relays or fuses under the hood. Just curious if the "flashing" 3rd is factory. Haven`t noticed other`s doing it.

Anybody?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to Jacque from ToyotaPartsSales we were able to figure out that my "flashing" 3rd brake light is not factory. A previous owner must have had it installed. Now I have to find this "3rd brake light flasher module" and remove it. :saw:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts