TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab. I love my truck but lately it's become a real thorn in my side. About two months ago it started making a weird noise. It's like a scraping sound, kinda like a whump, whump, whump sound. At first I thought it was coming from the front end, but now I'm just not sure. Also, the sound is loudest at around 40 to 45 mph, and I can really hear it good when I let off the accelerator.

I thought it was possibly a warped rotor, so I changed those but that didn't stop it.

As for the wheel bearings, both are tight with no vertical play. But I'm wondering if they may be too tight. When the wheel is off and I try to turn them, they seem to be very tight (at least when I start to turn them), but once they start turning they feel fine, and they make no noise. Should they be hard to turn at the start?

I did the search option and looked up wheel bearing issues but didn't see anything that helped. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I would start by checking for worn U-joints in the drivetrain... mainly because you said it does it worse when you let off the gas.

Also make sure your zerks are all lubed up on the drivetrain.

Are you getting any weird vibes/shakes, or just noise?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.

96Taco, No, I haven't took it to a shop yet. I try to avoid that; I don't like nobody messing with my stuff, if you know what I mean.

Partyman, I'm thinking you may be right, I'm gonna check the u-joints in the morning. I'm not getting any weird vibrations, but I do seem to "feel" the noise when I press the brake pedal. That's one reason I started with the rotors. Pardon me for asking but what are the "zerks"?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Pardon me for asking but what are the "zerks"?
They are otherwise known as "Grease Fittings"... but they are essentially little metal nipples mounted at the joints on your drivetrain(on the U-Joints themselves and inside the Double-Cardan), as well as at the compressible end of the driveshafts. The head on your grease gun will fit and lock onto them and allow you to pump grease into the moving components that they are connected to.

If you have a 4x4, you should have about 4 or 5 of them on the rear half of your drivetrain between the transfer case and rear differential, and another 3 or 4 between the transfer case and front differential. Some of them are hidden inside the joint, and you will actually have to rotate the driveshaft to an appropriate position, and then squeeze the head of the grease gun into the little gap to get at the zerk fitting which is inside there.

If you've never lubbed these up, there's a pretty good chance that this is your problem.. or will soon become one. I generally try to lube mine up every 3K miles or so... or more if I have been smashing around in mud and really wet conditions(grease tends to wash out in heavy water).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Partyman,

Thanks for the education. I know what a grease fitting is, just never heard 'em called that before. I guess that's the difference between living in north Florida and south east Massachusetts.

Anyways, I have kept mine greased, but I have noticed a little play in the center bearing on my drive shaft. Is this normal?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Partyman,

Thanks for the education. I know what a grease fitting is, just never heard 'em called that before. I guess that's the difference between living in north Florida and south east Massachusetts.

Anyways, I have kept mine greased, but I have noticed a little play in the center bearing on my drive shaft. Is this normal?
Nope shouldnt have any play.... Have the same exact problem on my '00 xtra cab. Just ordered a new carrier bearing from napa, $130 so its not too bad.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey John, I got under the truck to check things out today and I noticed that the play is in the rubber that the bearing is encased in. Is this normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well from what everyone (and sort of common sense) tells me, there shouldnt be any play in the bearing since it keeps the driveshaft from flopping around. The bearing is supposed to be a fixed point for the first half of the driveshaft.

And that rubber only acts as a seal for the bearing so crap doesnt get in there and ruin the bearing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I need to replace my carrier bearing. Sure hope this works. I hate the process of elimination when it comes to trying to fix weird noises, it can sure get expensive.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts