TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do the alternating turn signal mod on my 1st gen 2000 tacoma. I understand the relay method and prefer that way so as to not get backfeed in the circuit. The only problem is from what I understand is the alternating relay method only works when the marker lights are on. Now I would like the alternating flasher to work regardless of marker lights being on or not. I also do not want to cut the turn signal housing and add bulbs or anything like that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You could do this with two SPDT relays per side.

One relay (lets call it relay A) has its coil wired to the parking light circuit. The other (relay B) has its coil wired to the turn signal circuit.

Relay A is wired with its common going to the parking light. The NC contact is wired to the turn signal wire. The NO contact is wired to the common contact of relay B. The NC contact of relay B is wired to the parking light wire.

With the parking lights off, relay A is turned off. This connects the parking light to the turn signal circuit. The parking light now turns on and off with the turn signal.

If the parking lights are turned on, relay A turns on and causes the parking light to be connected to the parking light circuit through relay B.

Relay B is connected to the turn signal circuit, so when the turn signal lights, relay B turns on and opens the circuit from the parking light feed to relay A and the parking light. The parking light now blinks alternately with the turn signal.

This is exactly the same situation you have with a trailer. You want the brake lights to blink if the turn signals are blinking.

The easiest approach might be to simply pick up a towing converter and use that: Connect the parking lights where the trailer brake lights go.
Connect the converter brake input to the parking light line in the truck.
Connect the turns signal inputs to the turn signal lines in the truck.
Ignore the tail light lines.

About $20 not counting connectors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help. makes sense and i may even try to towing converter. i have a spare one laying in a box.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
backfeed is when power is running from one circuit to another possibly causing potential hazards of the lights lighting at the wrong time or not lighting at all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts