TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i need a hand figuring out what gears i have now and what i should end up going with. I have a 97 2.7 s/b standard cab tacoma i just bought. From what i've read on here it sounds like most came with 3.58 gears. Is there any way i can confirm this from the VIN plate on the inner driver side door? There is a guy local to me who has 3.90, 4.10, and 4.30 gears for sale for 4cly and 6 cyl. toyota trucks 8". My tires are 265/75/16 m/t and the truck seems geared very high when i drive it. I'm not a diehard offroader and will use my truck as a daily driver too. Can you guys help? The truck is a 5sp. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
chances are your truck has the 3.58's since it is the 2.7. but could very well have the 3.90's I know that doesn't help.

But for your size tire and what you described as your driving patterns. I would go with 4.10's. 4.30's would be okay, but you are going to have some higher highway RPMs.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,582 Posts
rosscopeeko said:
Hey guys, i need a hand figuring out what gears i have now and what i should end up going with. I have a 97 2.7 s/b standard cab tacoma i just bought. From what i've read on here it sounds like most came with 3.58 gears. Is there any way i can confirm this from the VIN plate on the inner driver side door? There is a guy local to me who has 3.90, 4.10, and 4.30 gears for sale for 4cly and 6 cyl. toyota trucks 8". My tires are 265/75/16 m/t and the truck seems geared very high when i drive it. I'm not a diehard offroader and will use my truck as a daily driver too. Can you guys help? The truck is a 5sp. Thanks,
Check your VIN tag on the bottom row for some numbers like B02A. If thats what you have, then your gears are 3.58s. Look at our Tech/FAQ for the full chart of other gear ratios.

I didn't look up what size the 265/75s are, but if those are 32s or 33s, then 4.56 gears would probably be a decent choice. Those gears your local guy has are probably for the older style trucks, so watch out. The Tacoma models use a 8.4" / 210mm ring gear set in the rear (w/o the e-locker), and 7.5" RR gears in the front.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts