TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im getting a 2001 tacoma in the next month..i want to lift it 6" and run 35's and get a arb bull bar with winch...but other than that im not really sure what else i should get..like what things i should get first..to help you decide.. ill tell you what i would like to be able to do with the tacoma..it definately has to be able to handle some pretty deep snow. it needs to still drive pretty decent as it is my only means of transportation. and i want to be able to handle some of the rougher trails..anything helps..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
If you're going to be even close to rocks sliders are a must.... Or not if you like big dents. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Critt50 said:
If you're going to be even close to rocks sliders are a must.... Or not if you like big dents. :D
well dents do add some character... :D but i think the sliders would be enough character without the dents...wheres a good place to get them
 

·
"Terry Tate"
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
with only 6 inches of lift and 35 inch tires, you will probably rub a little bit, especially on trails. then the bumper and winch will only add extra weight to the front. may want to consider a body lift, too. good luck with it and post some pics. when you get it finished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,294 Posts
with the 35's you'll need to regear, most likely 4.88's if you have a V6 5spd or 5.29's with a V6 auto or 4cyl. it sounds like you've got some money, i say get some adjustable coilovers as well, this way you can lift the front a little more to compensate for the sagging under the weight of the bull bar, and help cut down on rubbing. Also, two free and easy jobs you'll want to do are 1. pinch weld mod and 2: grey wire mod (if you've got the TRD paskage) both write-ups are on customtacos.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YoTRacer158 said:
with the 35's you'll need to regear, most likely 4.88's if you have a V6 5spd or 5.29's with a V6 auto or 4cyl. it sounds like you've got some money, i say get some adjustable coilovers as well, this way you can lift the front a little more to compensate for the sagging under the weight of the bull bar, and help cut down on rubbing. Also, two free and easy jobs you'll want to do are 1. pinch weld mod and 2: grey wire mod (if you've got the TRD paskage) both write-ups are on customtacos.com
What would be better you think..get a tacoma with TRD package or get one with out and just add lockers front and rear?
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
That's probably more a personal preference thing. I'd go with the TRD packaged Taco, and get an ARB up front.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
ok im getting a 2001 tacoma in the next month..i want to lift it 6" and run 35's and get a arb bull bar with winch...but other than that im not really sure what else i should get..like what things i should get first..to help you decide.. ill tell you what i would like to be able to do with the tacoma..it definately has to be able to handle some pretty deep snow. it needs to still drive pretty decent as it is my only means of transportation. and i want to be able to handle some of the rougher trails..anything helps..
O boy... first off, what is your budget for your total build and how soon do you want it done? What engine are you getting; I suggest the v6 for what you propose.

this ain't gonna be cheap ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hytenor said:
O boy... first off, what is your budget for your total build and how soon do you want it done? What engine are you getting; I suggest the v6 for what you propose.

this ain't gonna be cheap ;)
i get 18,000 to spend so im thinking i should get a truck around 10,000 or 11,000 that way i have a good amount of money to use for mods. yea i was going to go for the v6, so what are your ideas for mods i should try to get?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
i get 18,000 to spend so im thinking i should get a truck around 10,000 or 11,000 that way i have a good amount of money to use for mods. yea i was going to go for the v6, so what are your ideas for mods i should try to get?
with much to play with I would find an early model Taco for under $10k (you'll be lucky to find an '01 for the entire $18K). then do a solid axle swap on it.
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
i get 18,000 to spend so im thinking i should get a truck around 10,000 or 11,000 that way i have a good amount of money to use for mods. yea i was going to go for the v6, so what are your ideas for mods i should try to get?
ive seen some pretty nice trucks built already for sale on this board.might be worth it to take a look.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
KRYPTO(dale)
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top