TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to start my truck (2.7L prerunner) when all of the sudden it was just clicking when I tried to turn it over. It sounds like the solinoid just clicking. My brother said that the magnets might be stuck in the starter? Has anyone had this problem? Do I just need to pull my old starter off, buy a new one and throw that one? Thanks.

-Justin

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I thought clicking was a bad solenoid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it was repeating.. could it be a bad starter? I checked my connections and they look fine? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Quick and simple Battery/ starter test-

Turn on the headlights, and turn the key.

If the headlights go very dim or turn off completly, then the battery is dead or the cables are corroded/loose. you are not getting enough electricity.

If the headlights stay on nice and bright, then the battery is fine and there's something going on with the starter.

Simple, huh?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fast frank said:
Quick and simple Battery/ starter test-

Turn on the headlights, and turn the key.

If the headlights go very dim or turn off completly, then the battery is dead or the cables are corroded/loose. you are not getting enough electricity.

If the headlights stay on nice and bright, then the battery is fine and there's something going on with the starter.

Simple, huh?
Yeah thanks alot, let me try it out...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Do our trucks have the old style, screwdriver accessible, 2 post solenoids?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah I also forgot to mention that when I try to turn it over, the ground cable where it connects to the terminal of the battery smokes?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Not necessarily. My my truck was doin it for months til I got around to fixing it. Which, ironically haha, was when all it would do is click and I couldn't drive without clickin for 2 minutes haha.

I made a new contact and it has been a-ok for over 1.5 years. Not a single click.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thats normal.

haha no quite. Is it a stock ground cable. I'm pretty sure that has somethin to do with wayyyy too much electricity going through when you turn the starter (but not necessarily through the starter). Maybe somehow when you turn the ingnition switch a lot of the juice is getting routed elsewhere and not throught the starter where it should. Been fiddling with any wiring at all? Lights, starter, anything?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only wires that have been messed with are turn signals. After my friend made me a bumper, another friend of mine cut the turn signal wires and connected some led's to them. Yeah is it the stock ground cable. I was told it might be a dead battery?

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
xxxjuhstenxxx said:
Oh yeah I also forgot to mention that when I try to turn it over, the ground cable where it connects to the terminal of the battery smokes?
This is a bad thing. Check ALL your ground leads and make sure they are all tight and you have no broken connections. Clean both your battery terminals and check for corrosion. Replace as necessary. Load test the battery and replace as necessary.

Its obvious the problem isn't with your starter, its the battery. So figure those issues out before you cause an electrical fire under the hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts