TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm embarassed to even admit this mistake!

I hope someone can help me out here. Building my own Long travel control arms for my 98 4X. I need someone to confirm a measurement form their Tacoma Long travel suspension (as accurate as possible, but I'll take anything). The measuremant should be from Pivot-to-Pivot or center of ball joint to the center of the chassis mounting bolts(arm pivots). I now believe the dimension is around 17.5 inches.....as the stock LCA is just shy of 14in long pivot to pivot...and the Tundra axle is about 3.7 inches longer than a Tacoma axle. So I probably have answered my question, but just wanted someone to confirm for me. Please help if you have a kit!

I measured a popular brand Long-Travel Front suspension for a Taco a long time back....got all the critical dimensions. I designed up a boxed lower control arm using SolidWorks. Finishes all drawings, parts cut (should have confirmed all dimensions before that part).

So i have all the machined parts complete and am ready to finish the jig and I wanted to confirm the "pivot-to-pivot" length of the lower arm. I designed mine to be 18.75" pivot to pivot(which is what I wrote down when I measured a long-travel kit . I think this is over an inch too long.

Uppers will be boxed .125 as well

Thanks in advance...wish I would have measured twice...should be an easy modification to my parts to knock an inch off the wishbones.

Jon
V4DR

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any help would be great here....have to work the next few weekends, so I would love to tack this thing up this weekend.

I will post ppictures of the tack-up on the jig...once someone confirms the 17.5" in pivot-to-pivot dimension for me!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Any help would be great here....have to work the next few weekends, so I would love to tack this thing up this weekend.

I will post ppictures of the tack-up on the jig...once someone confirms the 17.5" in pivot-to-pivot dimension for me!

Thanks
Jon, why not tack it all together, put it on the truck and cycle it, that would be better than just trying random measurements.... how do you know your cup angle on the lower for the balljoint is in the best position if you dont do this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response.

The crirical dimensions...including the cup angle are copied from a production LTS....Except, I believe I referenced one dimension incorrectly.

I could do what you said...but unless I pull the boots off of the CV, I won't know if the inner CV cage is just barly engaged with the housing splines...Plus I dont want to cut the plate for the uppers if the arm-lenght dimension I have are wrong. Just looking for some help...all I need is one quick measurement...take someone 5 minutes....and I can move on. I'm busy as heck working and trying to coordinate volunteers for our local MDR races, so this would save me a bunch of time.

Thanks again

Jon
V4DR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the dimension!!

Thanks to Jesse...he helped me out. Really he has helped many with all of his great write-ups! I think it was his TLT LTS Tacoma that started this addiction!! People like him are what make this sport so much fun!

Thanks Jesse,

Pictures of the build to follow...

Jon
V4DR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts