TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to buy a base model Tacoma, and although I was initially looking at manuals, I ran across a really clean '00 automatic SST and I'm seriously considering it.

I have been searching the net and have not been able to find much info about the automatics. I would like to know their reputation before I get into one, as I have had bad luck with autos before. Are they durable? Also, how is the drive ability? If it has a tendency to "hunt" for a gear, no matter how subtle, I may pass on it. I would love to hear the opinions of the members of this forum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2.7 auto 4x is...slow. But it gets 20+ mpg, and I am not in a hurry. It feels under powered in the hills, nevermind mountains. Oh, get 4.56 gears or taller. 4.56 was factory in my truck.

The transmission does not hunt, but I turn off the OD in the hills or towing.

No problems in 60K miles.

·
Registered
533 Posts
el'patrick has one for sale on this board, its a 99 4cyl 4x4 auto regular cab w/27,000miles for $12,000 Its in Colorado, looks very clean.

·
Registered
103 Posts
NJtaco said:
My 2.7 auto 4x is...slow. But it gets 20+ mpg, and I am not in a hurry. It feels under powered in the hills, nevermind mountains. Oh, get 4.56 gears or taller. 4.56 was factory in my truck.

The transmission does not hunt, but I turn off the OD in the hills or towing.

No problems in 60K miles.
Yeah. If you get the 2.7 - you can make up for the loss of power with lower gears. If you do the math - a 2.7 can get the same torque to the wheels as a stock 3.4 V6 with 31" tires, if you run 5.29 gears with 31" tires.

Or you could just get the torquey little 3.4 in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I used to have a 99 ex cab 2.7L auto with stock 4.56 and was really pleased with it. Unlike the two other posts above mine claiming it's a slow combo, I thought mine was perfect for what I needed it for - daily driver and occasional cargo hauling work use. In fact, it felt peppier and faster off the line than my fullsize Ford Bronco with the 5.0L V8 (although less torquey, of course).

You mentioned you do not want an auto that tends to "hunt" for gears. Mine never did that unless it was in OD and I was going uphill or facing a strong headwind while at highway speed. However, it was nothing like the big, heavy Ford E4OD auto trans in my fullsize Bronco that hunts for gears at 30-40 mph.

You also asked if they were durable. Again, unlike many Ford auto trannies (with the exception of the venerable C6), the Toyota auto trans behind a 2.7L is very durable and should last you a long time if properly cared for. Granted, there are always a few exceptions here and there with less than a handful of folks that may have had problems with Tacoma auto trannies, but for the most part, Tacoma auto trannies are durable and very reliable. Now, some of the early Tundra trannies, judging from some of the posts I've read, don't seem as durable. I'm wondering if the same tranny was used, resulting in the added weight, hp and torque rating of the Tundra and V8 place taking its toll on it. But for a lighter Tacoma, with a 2.7L that, although no slouch and having much more pep than the legendary 22RE, has much less hp and torque than the Tundra V8, the auto trans should last a very long time. To extend its life, though, I would add a big auxiliary trans cooler.

All in all, I was happy with that 99 Taco and would probably still be driving it today had I not wrecked it two years ago. I traded it in all dented up with about 180K miles on it, and even still it drove straight without ever having problems with the auto trans.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Mine has been perfect up to 97K. Same deal as others, have stock 4.56 with 31's. That little ECT button seems to make a noticable difference when facing a strong headwind as well. It does not "hunt for gears" as much.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Iv'e got the 3.4 & I love my auto.... no problems yet... it's a DD & I drive about 50 miles a day so it's kinda nice. All my other Toyota's were 5 speeds. I do prefer a manual though.. a little more fun...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
Monoman
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing