TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new CB for my truck. I am looking for info on what antenna to buy. I've seen the fiberglass ones around, firestick, etc.
Is there any noticable difference, besides looks, between fiberglass poles and metal "whips"?
I've got an 04 Double Cab, still bone stock (for a little while longer). It is my daily driver (23xxx mi. since March :xcrybaby: ).
A little more info on me/my truck:
I run trails, hills, etc. I'm not planning on going full out rock crawler or mud rig, so my trucks not gonna be sittin up in the stratosphere.
I appreciate your input.

Merry Christmas
-Adam

·
Registered
37 Posts
This thread might be in the wrong section, so you may or may not get any responses. I've always run a firestick with a spring. Seemed to be o.k. I had a 3ft. on the bedrail of my truck and it worked alright for close range on the trails, but the 4ft. antenna was ALOT better. One of the NE members ran a metal whip for awhile and it seemed to work for him. I honestly don't know what the differences are other than materials used to construct them. I was just told to grab a firestick(top load) and have it adjusted with and SWR(?) meter. If you are only looking use it for trails, short range, etc.... then I wouldn't sweat it. Just buy the one you want, hook it up, and go play. They aren't extremely expensive so if it turns out to be something you didn't want then no harm. BTW-I was also told to spend the money on Coax. Get good cable to run from your radio to antenna, good ground, good mounting. Have fun!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have been a CB'er for about 30 years now and I have been through a lot of mobile antennas. The best one to get is the wilson 1000 or wilson 5000, both magnet mounts.
I do not do much off roading , but these antennas outperform all others. You are able to talk further and recieve distance transmits. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it guys.
I was just talkin to one of my buddies from work and I might have the hookup on a black 3' fiberglass antenna. Its coming off of a fleet van at the airport.
At this point I'm not really worried about long range CB-ing, thats what Nextel's are for.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
hezy said:
The best one to get is the wilson 1000 or wilson 5000, both magnet mounts.
I've been thinking about getting one of those. Do you know if you can remove the shaft of the antenna from the magnet base? The reason I ask is that I don't want to leave a magnet mount on my roof all the time, but I do want to keep it in the truck all the time (yeah, I'm pretty forgetful). I just thought it would be convenient to be able to take it apart and keep the shaft in the toolbox and the base behind the seat or something.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I've been thinking about getting one of those. Do you know if you can remove the shaft of the antenna from the magnet base? The reason I ask is that I don't want to leave a magnet mount on my roof all the time, but I do want to keep it in the truck all the time (yeah, I'm pretty forgetful). I just thought it would be convenient to be able to take it apart and keep the shaft in the toolbox and the base behind the seat or something.
Yes, the coil and the whip un-screw from the base.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
D6Adam said:
I just got a new CB for my truck. I am looking for info on what antenna to buy. I've seen the fiberglass ones around, firestick, etc.
Is there any noticable difference, besides looks, between fiberglass poles and metal "whips"?
I've got an 04 Double Cab, still bone stock (for a little while longer). It is my daily driver (23xxx mi. since March :xcrybaby: ).
A little more info on me/my truck:
I run trails, hills, etc. I'm not planning on going full out rock crawler or mud rig, so my trucks not gonna be sittin up in the stratosphere.
I appreciate your input.

Merry Christmas
-Adam
I've found little to no difference between 'quality' fiberglass whips and steel whips. Do keep in mind that antenna size does play a factor. A 4' whip won't perform as well as an 8' whip. As for fiberglass whips, the Firestik II antennas are tops on my list. They perform well and have an adjustable tip for easy tuning. As for steel whips, the Wilson antennas are great. If you are looking for longer range, then try a 102" whip.

·
Registered
793 Posts
What about the through the glass antennas, work or not?

Ya know the ones where ya mount the antenna on the outside of the glass and the antenna connection runs up to a part that mounts on the inside just opposite of the outside antenna

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've run a through-the-glass antenna before. It worked fairly well, considering what it is. I couldn't transmit very well, but I did receive pretty well. I'm sure it's nothing compared to a 4' firestik or whatever, but they do work and I'd bet they would do ok on a trail run as long as you aren't too far from the group.

·
Registered
460 Posts
my .02
my dad has always driven a big-rig since he was about 18 or so. he currently has ranger rci 6900f (about $450) and runs a wilson trucker sw-2000 and he can talk further barefooted (that means he doesnt have a power-box/amplifier) than anybody i know. and he is so load when he talks. i ran a galaxy dx33 in my old nissan with a quarter wavelength antenna ( a full size steel whip )and i talked about anywhere i wanted, i was also barefooted. we swapped out radios and mine did slightly better on the wilson and his did slighty worse on the whip. when sittin still the whip outperformed amazingly but as we rode down the road it was terrible, the bending of the whip totally screwed the signal where we couldnt talk more than 6-7 miles when before we could talk almsot triple that. the fiberglass firesticks are good if u have a lil cobra 25 or sumthin but go any bigger radio and its waste-o-money. so if u have a lil radio just to tlak local, go firestick, its cheap, and if it breaks it wont cost alot to fix. if u just want the whip look go for it, but make sure u get one heck of a mount and a good spring. if u wanna talk to folks like me and my dad, go with a wilson 5000 magnetic mount or sumthin similar. if u go to the average cb shop and tell them what u want they can purddy much tell u what would be best. and another thing, fiberglass crack and break easy in cold weather and ice. magnectic mounts can be a pain if the scratch ur paint. and whips will beat ur truck paint sumthin bad. just my .02 hope it helps. and by-the-way anybody installed a radio the size of an average cereal box in there tacoma?? i can only find one place for it to fit and that is the passenger floor board mounted to the shifter console.
RENEGADE76254

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just ordered a 3 foot Firestik II and the Firestik hood / fender groove mount kit from Bills2Way. Pretty cheap, the antenna was $13.5 and the mount was $22.95. I was going to get a 4 foot whip, but I don't think I could clear the parking garage at work if I got that. I hope this works out.

Bill's had the best prices I could find online. www.bills2way.com

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
my .02

RENEGADE76254
I have an older Uniden 66a (full sizeradio) I had it mounted t othe passenger side of the center console nest to shifter. some mounted behind the center console. I jsut fabbed up a mount to put radio behind rearview mirror.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Might not want to order anything just yet from Bill's 2 Way. I tried to call and verify my order, but none of the listed phone numbers work. Also, I haven't received any reply to my emails.

Sounds like they are out of business??

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Jamier2 said:
Might not want to order anything just yet from Bill's 2 Way. I tried to call and verify my order, but none of the listed phone numbers work. Also, I haven't received any reply to my emails.

Sounds like they are out of business??
I just yesterday, ordered from westcoastmall.com antenna, spring, quick-disco, and fender mount.
also new radio from gijoes radio. Uniden has rebates till end of yr. $150 radio for $85 after mail in rebate.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bills2way are a bunch of jackasses. They never pick up the phone or call you back
that why i never deal online, but if u do then i suggest www.thequackshack.com i think thats right url, if not just search google for quack shack cb or sumthin

I have an older Uniden 66a (full sizeradio) I had it mounted t othe passenger side of the center console nest to shifter.
i ended up doin the same with my galaxy, cant slide passanger seat up very far is the only problem i have ran into.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yea thats the problem with mounting to side of console.

which galaxy do you have? how do you like it? has it been tuned? did you get it from quackshack?
thx in advance

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
my .02
my dad has always driven a big-rig since he was about 18 or so. he currently has ranger rci 6900f (about $450) and runs a wilson trucker sw-2000 and he can talk further barefooted (that means he doesnt have a power-box/amplifier) than anybody i know. and he is so load when he talks. i ran a galaxy dx33 in my old nissan with a quarter wavelength antenna ( a full size steel whip )and i talked about anywhere i wanted, i was also barefooted. we swapped out radios and mine did slightly better on the wilson and his did slighty worse on the whip. when sittin still the whip outperformed amazingly but as we rode down the road it was terrible, the bending of the whip totally screwed the signal where we couldnt talk more than 6-7 miles when before we could talk almsot triple that. the fiberglass firesticks are good if u have a lil cobra 25 or sumthin but go any bigger radio and its waste-o-money. so if u have a lil radio just to tlak local, go firestick, its cheap, and if it breaks it wont cost alot to fix. if u just want the whip look go for it, but make sure u get one heck of a mount and a good spring. if u wanna talk to folks like me and my dad, go with a wilson 5000 magnetic mount or sumthin similar. if u go to the average cb shop and tell them what u want they can purddy much tell u what would be best. and another thing, fiberglass crack and break easy in cold weather and ice. magnectic mounts can be a pain if the scratch ur paint. and whips will beat ur truck paint sumthin bad. just my .02 hope it helps. and by-the-way anybody installed a radio the size of an average cereal box in there tacoma?? i can only find one place for it to fit and that is the passenger floor board mounted to the shifter console.
RENEGADE76254

http://community.webshots.com/album/135201634xgCiSz :)

http://community.webshots.com/album/136014334YpEQNz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts