TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going dizzy trying to read all the threads on suspensions.

I have a 02 DC 4x4, stock suspension, and 265 75r 16 Bridgestone MT's. Virtually no rub with the pinch welds tended to.

I'm going to be putting on an ARB bull bar, and a winch. I would like to end up with 1.5 to 2" lift after the weight up front has been added from the winch and bumper.

What do I go with and why? Last time I looked into this, I got the feeling coil overs were the way to go, and of them the Downeys were the best bet? Do I need Tundra springs, or what with the DC? Seems like something new comes up and opinions change fairly quickly, so I need the latest thoughts.

I'm getting a handsome tax check back in a couple weeks, and want to purchase the lift at that time. Bumper and winch to follow soon after, but I won't do it all at once.....

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I think Sway away has a 650 lb coil available for their 2" coilover. I know Camburg/ Donahoe use them on their 2-1/2" coilovers. I have the Downey set. It has a 600lb spring on it. The springs are a big help, and the hd bilstien in them is better than the stock unit. Just remember to flip the threaded collar over, and have the groove for the snapring machined into the top/bottom of the collar. I blew one of the shocks from the set screw denting the tube. OME has much heavier springs, and will support the winch better than a spacer.SAW and Downey are $650 ish. Oh, so is the basic Fabtech kit. Don't hear much about it here, more guys have had the performance fabtech....dirt logic unit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw a reference last night to the snap ring on the Downeys. Does Downey do this at request? Do I have to take it to a machine shop? I'd hate to think that I'd spend about $700 on a front suspension that needed to be modded before it was even on the truck. :(

I think spacers are out for me unfortunately, as I wheel my truck pretty good. Not for the sake of wheeling mind you, but for getting out in the woods, hunting, etc. While not radical, it takes a bit of abuse, and I'll need something up to the task.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wheel my truck along the same lines as you and the spacers are quite capable.
They may not provide the lift when adding a bumper but the stock springs are not made to handle the extra weight. I am about to put a winch bumper on mine and was going to use a combo of OME springs and spacer lift to give me the 2 -2 1/2 inches of lift i need. THe OME springs are like 500lb springs. So with about $300 for springs and new struts I will have a suspension to give me the lift i need. I would love to have coil overs but to think about spending that much on a set of CO only to get them coated with mud and grime as thats all i do is go through the woods for hunting,fishing, mud bogging, and such. All of the places i go are pretty rough. No means are they extreme but the spacers have been put to the test.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
sagexp said:
I saw a reference last night to the snap ring on the Downeys. Does Downey do this at request? Do I have to take it to a machine shop? I'd hate to think that I'd spend about $700 on a front suspension that needed to be modded before it was even on the truck.
Downey sells the Bil/ hd with the snapring already on it. Like$90 ea??? I'm not sure. And, bilstien as well as Downey have a threaded collar setup. It is affordable. I had the collar relieved to flip it over and set the pinch bolts on bottom. Easy sleazy.

931 Posts
Coilovers are going to most likely be the best bet. As far as a Tundra or Tacoma coil, or Tundra or Tacoma valving it is really preference. My truck is heavy and I have tacoma valved Kings and like the ride very much. There is lots of info on different things you can do to your DC on my site (link below)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after much more research, seems I'm going to settle on the OME 882's with N91 shocks in the front. That should give me a finished lift after settling of about 2" once the ARB and Warn winch are added, correct? I would not want more that 2", but the OME 881's seem like they might not be enough with all the DC weight and 150 lbs of winch and bumper.

For the back, for now, I'm going to go with 1.5" shackles or the 1.5" Deaver 3 leaf AAL. I will probably go with OME N85's (stiffer shock) in the rear if I go shackles, and N94's (softer shock) if I go AAL.

Does this seem like a good plan? Do I need an extended brake line for the rear if I'm only going 1.5 up in the rear?

I bought my M8000 w/ roller fairlead winch today, and am going ARB shopping on the net tomorrow. Would like to be installing everything in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the assistance!

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
Need lift for 32's and ARB w/winch

sagexp said:
Well, after much more research, seems I'm going to settle on the OME 882's with N91 shocks in the front. That should give me a finished lift after settling of about 2" once the ARB and Warn winch are added, correct? I would not want more that 2", but the OME 881's seem like they might not be enough with all the DC weight and 150 lbs of winch and bumper.

For the back, for now, I'm going to go with 1.5" shackles or the 1.5" Deaver 3 leaf AAL. I will probably go with OME N85's (stiffer shock) in the rear if I go shackles, and N94's (softer shock) if I go AAL.

Does this seem like a good plan? Do I need an extended brake line for the rear if I'm only going 1.5 up in the rear?

I bought my M8000 w/ roller fairlead winch today, and am going ARB shopping on the net tomorrow. Would like to be installing everything in the next few weeks.

I'm taking off a OME set up just like you want to go with a Fabtech 6". I've had it on for about 7000 miles and was very happy with it, until I decided to "go bigger". PM me if your interested in purchasing my OME stuff (see signature) or e-mail me at [email protected]. I'd like to get $500.00 plus shipping for everything. I paid Wheelers over a grand for this lift less than a year ago, and everything is still in good shape. Kit would include OME rear leafs, rear shocks n85's (slightly dented), fully assembled n91 front shocks with 882 coils. You won't find a better deal!
Bill

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
sagexp said:

Unfortuately that won't work for the front. The 500# OMEs (all of them are the same rating) can NOT support the weight AND maintain the lift you are looking for. Both Edgar (sftoyota) and I went through this. Adding trim pks to try and get the lift back up only made things worse and the coils eventually failed. He was down to less than 1.5" even after installing 2 trims each side.
If you are adding a winch/bumper do not go with OMEs; you'll be sorry.
you are also looking at more than 150# for the ARB and M8000. 70# for the bumper, 74 for the winch and 55 for the cable and rollers. You can drop 50# by swapping the cable and rollers with Amsteel Blue winch rope and either a composite or Aluminum fairlead.

With the dcab you will need coilovers with at least the 600# coils. SAWs now come with 675s which is what I'm running now and they are a bit of an overkill...don't flex very well. Downey's Bilstein adjustables are 600#, Donahoes and Camburgs are 650s. Allpro runs 550s in their adjustables. Edgar finally went with Downey's Tundra coilovers with 800# springs, LOL. So far, so good but his ride is a little on the stiff side. He has the v6 Dcab and I have a 2.7 excab. We each have the same bumper but I have more weight in trail armor.
My plan is to eventually find some replacements for these 675s, maybe go with 600s or 650s of the same length.

If you were just adding a winch to a custom fabbed mount behind you OE bumper I'd say you'd be "ok" but not with the ARB.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, crap. Seems I'm running in circles here, and came right back to where I was last year when I began looking at this, the Downey coil overs. :confused: I now remember why I put this off another year. There just doesn't seem to be a good solution for putting a winch on a freakin' Tacoma double cab. I thought the 882's rated for "double cab and winch only" would be heavier springs. But, they're just the same springs stretched another 1/2 inch or so. Great.

Now, on these Downey coilovers......if I understand correctly, if I buy the shocks with the coilovers from Downey, the slot is already machined for the snap ring where it needs to be? But, there is something with the set screws that the collar needs to be turned upside down? Perhaps I should just call Downey, but is seems absurd to me (and a design flaw) if I have to make changes to something they sell so I don't blow out shocks on the friggin' trail.

Even though I take good care of my truck, and clean underneath regularly, I don't like the idea of having to give constant attention to a set of coilovers so the adjustment sleeve doesn't lock up.......that is what was turning me towards just springs. I'm often out in the woods for a week or two at a time, and will not be wanting to be cleaning my truck's suspension components.

The idea of not being able to readily "pick up" a new shock (I know they're rebuildable), or having the charge leak out doesn't thrill me either. My truck is a "using" truck, to get me where I need to go. I'm not a "mod enthusiast" so to speak, and don't want my truck, or mods, creating additional aggravation for me. I just want a winch and ARB on the front without spending $2k on top of the cost of the winch and bumper to do it, but I don't want to mickey mouse it either and degrade the suspension's performance......I want a proper suspension up to the task. Maybe I want too much.

Frustration setting in.......

931 Posts
sagexp said:
Well, crap. Seems I'm running in circles here, and came right back to where I was last year when I began looking at this, the Downey coil overs. :confused: I now remember why I put this off another year. There just doesn't seem to be a good solution for putting a winch on a freakin' Tacoma double cab. I thought the 882's rated for "double cab and winch only" would be heavier springs. But, they're just the same springs stretched another 1/2 inch or so. Great.

Now, on these Downey coilovers......if I understand correctly, if I buy the shocks with the coilovers from Downey, the slot is already machined for the snap ring where it needs to be? But, there is something with the set screws that the collar needs to be turned upside down? Perhaps I should just call Downey, but is seems absurd to me (and a design flaw) if I have to make changes to something they sell so I don't blow out shocks on the friggin' trail.

Even though I take good care of my truck, and clean underneath regularly, I don't like the idea of having to give constant attention to a set of coilovers so the adjustment sleeve doesn't lock up.......that is what was turning me towards just springs. I'm often out in the woods for a week or two at a time, and will not be wanting to be cleaning my truck's suspension components.

The idea of not being able to readily "pick up" a new shock (I know they're rebuildable), or having the charge leak out doesn't thrill me either. My truck is a "using" truck, to get me where I need to go. I'm not a "mod enthusiast" so to speak, and don't want my truck, or mods, creating additional aggravation for me. I just want a winch and ARB on the front without spending $2k on top of the cost of the winch and bumper to do it, but I don't want to mickey mouse it either and degrade the suspension's performance......I want a proper suspension up to the task. Maybe I want too much.

I have adjustable front coilovers and I have not had any problem with the adjusting collars locking up. If you go to my website and look around, you will see that I use my truck... and I love mud. I also have a tendancy to get it muddy and let it stay that way for a week or so. What fun is the mud if you cant drive aound and show it off? :) If I lived in an area the snowed and they salted the roads and such I would be worried about them locking. I have had them on for about 3 years now and they are still doing fine. I have not had to do any mantinence on them. Again, check the web site.... I use my truck.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
sagexp said:

well, to add another couple of options: Eibach coils make varrious sizes and ratings that might work as replacement coils. I woud call Camburg and see what they have in the 600# range that are 14-15" long. The hitch with this will be matching shocks with the heavy coils. the aftermarket Bils that Downey uses should work w/o the custom machined groove. The amount of lift you get would be a crap-shoot though.

there is a long thread on Yototech about using OE Tundra and 4Runner coils and shocks since they are heavier than the Tacoma coils. The trick is figuring out which ones to get. the v8 Tundra coils, non trd are in the 600# range but I don't know about those for the v6 or 4x4, etc.

If you weren't concerned about the 2" of lift I'd say go with OME's 881s and a 1" spacer. these coils don't seem to sag as much as the 82s when extra preload and weight is added. The ride will be pretty soft too.

Another option is NWOR's progressive coils which are 300/600# and handle the weight well but won't give you much more than 1" of lift with the winch/bumper.

sucks, don't it :mad:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
TRD4ME / PARKSOFFROAD.COM said:
I have adjustable front coilovers and I have not had any problem with the adjusting collars locking up. If you go to my website and look around, you will see that I use my truck... and I love mud. I also have a tendancy to get it muddy and let it stay that way for a week or so. What fun is the mud if you cant drive aound and show it off? :) If I lived in an area the snowed and they salted the roads and such I would be worried about them locking. I have had them on for about 3 years now and they are still doing fine. I have not had to do any mantinence on them. Again, check the web site.... I use my truck.
he might live in the rust belt unlike us here ;)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The flip of the threaded sleeve was my best option, as per what the tech guys at Bilstien told me about the Downey kit. True enough, if the set screws are not tightened TOO much, you should not have a problem. I wa smaybe just unlucky. It was easy, only 10 minutes to relieve both sets. As for using the downey spring in place of the stocker...... let me know, so I can leave town!!! The springs from Downey are like 3 INCHES longer than the stockers, and stiffer. DO NOT try to compress them that far!!! I think that it is fair to sat that any car part can become stuck, or crud caked, and hard to adjust. Any part made of aluminum is going to be more succeptible to corrosion problems. No biggie, just clean them regularly(nothing special) , and wd40 them. Not too hard...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, thanks for the info. I guess I've come full circle, and am back at the Downeys. I live in SoCal currently, so I don't usually have salted roads to contend with, except for some winter driving to Kansas and back. I guess I better get friendly with a can of silicone spray.

If the flipping of the sleave works, and doesn't void any kind of warranty, I'm okay with that.

I will spend a few extra bucks now, and pick up the Downeys, and give myself a mild 1" lift to bring it level with the rear once the winch and bumper are on. In a couple months, I'll pick up the Deaver 3 leaf AAL's and shocks for the rear, and crank the front up another 1" or 1.5".

When I go camping or hunting, which is often, I get a lot of weight in the rear, so an AAL is a nice option. If the Deaver 3 leafs ride as nice as everyone says, for a bit more, they sound like the best option for me, since I'm only looking for 1.5" in the rear anyway. Shackles would be cheaper, but I'm afraid with the loads I carry I'd kill my springs in no time.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Downey has no warranty..... I shot you a PM, and I have the deavers if youwanted to get a feel for them also.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rojodiablo said:
The flip of the threaded sleeve was my best option, as per what the tech guys at Bilstien told me about the Downey kit. True enough, if the set screws are not tightened TOO much, you should not have a problem. I wa smaybe just unlucky. It was easy, only 10 minutes to relieve both sets. As for using the downey spring in place of the stocker...... let me know, so I can leave town!!! The springs from Downey are like 3 INCHES longer than the stockers, and stiffer. DO NOT try to compress them that far!!! I think that it is fair to sat that any car part can become stuck, or crud caked, and hard to adjust. Any part made of aluminum is going to be more succeptible to corrosion problems. No biggie, just clean them regularly(nothing special) , and wd40 them. Not too hard...
what exactly is this sleeve problem with the downeys?
How do you like the ride with them? good flex?
Not too many have them so I'm currious.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm also interested in this "sleeve problem". I've had my Downey Coilovers on for about a year now and have not had any problems.

I was careful when installing them not to overtighten the sleeve screws. Maybe if you overtighten them it causes problems???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts